Best grad school for active equities traders

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Bourbon84, May 3, 2011.

1. I use IB(Interactivebrokers) to trade Kospi. If you can trade crude, you can trade Kospi. One slight difference I noticed with Kospi vs. US equities is that upswings can be violently quick. But overall, it's a good vehicle to trade technically.

#31     May 4, 2011
  2. Are you at all worried about the health of some of the companies? For instance in China most companies that are traded on their exchanges are financial black boxes. They typically improlde with little signal. I guess if you are pattern trading vice swinging this wouldn't be as important.

Do the same rules apply to PTN accounts? were you have to have 25k min?

#32     May 4, 2011
  3. Kospi is the Korean index and it's a futures contract. The following link should provide you info:

http://tinyurl.com/45xkwbz

Hence, I could care less what each company does as long as the overall index gives me enough volatility to trade. fyi, 1000 Korean won is about $1 USD. also since it's futures, the $25k PDT rule does not apply. You just need to make sure you have enough to cover the margin requirement.

#33     May 4, 2011
  4. thanks a lot!

#34     May 4, 2011
  5. lindq

lindq

+1

I strongly suggest that you spend your time and money developing a second skill set. You may need it or want it for the future.

A strong bull market like we've experienced always seem to bring out new traders who think they've mastered the markets. When all they've done is ridden the bull. That's great, but it isn't enough to bet a career on. So IMHO, be careful before you jump into this one career path based on your short term experience.

#35     May 4, 2011
  6. the1

the1

This is the program I completed but when I went here it was called Computational Finance and it required three semesters of that course. It's changed a little since then. I would recommend you have a good background of C++ and Stats before you enter the program. If you're deficient in these areas you can get up to speed at your local community college.

http://www.iit.edu/mathematical_finance/academics/

#36     May 4, 2011
  7. Well said. I still have a ton to learn, but am having a lot of fun doing it. Me and my wife have plenty of contingency assets and skills to fall back on, but I couldn't not pursue something I enjoy so much.

#37     May 4, 2011
  8. Thanks the1,

What are you doing this this wegree now? HFT/algo/MFE work?

#38     May 4, 2011
  9. MWycliff

MWycliff

I quit a promising career to trade full time because I thought I had caught the trading bug. I've been doing this for more than 10 years. I started young right out of college, and if I knew then, what I know now, I'd take a completely different path.

With the sheer amount of hours, intellectual HP and funds I burnt up figuring out the markets, I could have gone to a top 5 MBA programe and started making guaranteed 7 figures in salary and bonuses . Instead now I stick to making a dentists salary. Heck, I could easily have gone to dental school and now be making 6 figures and putting on swing trades in the evening. The price paid for the stupidity of youth can sometimes be too high.

#39     May 8, 2011
  10. MWycliff,

Thanks a lot for responding. Did you start at a prop/BB or go at it on your own? I don't really care about the money it is the process I enjoy. Was this how you felt?

#40     May 8, 2011