Best grad school for active equities traders

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Bourbon84, May 3, 2011.

1. bone,

Thanks for chiming in. I am particularly interested in U of Chicago evening school. To me it almost seems like if you KNOW you want to trade, then the evening program that allows you to trade during market hours would have a greater net benefit than a full time MBA/grad program.

I would be particularly interested to hear about your experience with the U of C night program. Were you in the MBA program? (I am assuming the MSFM doesn't have a night program).

Were you trading during the day? Do you think there was a greater net benefit with trading during the day and going to school at night than participating in the traditional program that has more networking and recruiting opps?

#21     May 4, 2011
  2. bone

bone

I actually went to evening school while I was a full-time Engineer because the Company had a tuition reimbursement program. I did not trade and go to night school simultaneously.

Again, the school is a filtering mechanism for institutions - no school graduate program per se will teach you how to successfully take on risk.

#22     May 4, 2011
  3. mr. bourbon,

dont exclue some programs just b/c they don't offer night programs. just get in the best program you can. you can trade asian markets as well. i've been trading kospi for a few months and the volatility is as good as CL. besides, the market will always be there. your youth is only there for a brief moment.

#23     May 4, 2011
  4. Dayton Ohio? They host the RISE event.

Hanley Group Trading Center there is nice. They have 2 trading rooms

#24     May 4, 2011
  5. That's good advice.

Honestly no school will teach you anything. They haven't a clue how to trade. It's something you're going to have to learn on your own.

If the profs knew how to trade, they probably wouldn't be there with the exception of the select few who couldn't stand the stress. :)

#25     May 4, 2011
  6. IMO what you want to do is have something to fall back on. Scan the govt websites and see which grad schools have the best girl/guy ratio. Your best bet is a mix of nursing graduate and finance graduate. Go there and you won't regret it

You'll still have plenty of eye candy to keep your mind off trading when you need to AND you'll have a blast! :p

Why come out of your last year of school surrounded by 2's when you could rock 10's for the rest of your life? Fuck trading. Your odds of successful trading are slim, however your odds of coming out of school with a size 2 double D super model will be MUCH better than homo MIT. I seen the guys who came outta that place. They make rainbow lounge look like the playboy mansion. They'll be playing with their "computer models" (and each other), while you're out having drinks with your "super models".

Supply and demand baby. Simple as that.

Enjoy it while you can. Like I said, you won't regret it :D

BTW don't just settle for 50/50. I've used this analogy before: Good schools have a sense of "arrogance" among the women....GREAT schools have a sense of "desperation." You can learn trading on the side and be in some sort of utopia.

#26     May 4, 2011
  7. JamesBond007,

Thanks for the info. I am not excluding programs because they are full time; I have just recently started to entertain the idea of trading while going to school on the nights and weekends. What platform do you use to trade asian markets, and do you see techs and price support levels forming any different than US markets?

Are their significantly different execution costs and latency issues with execution? The lowest I can get overseas connections typically, with the best routing services, is down to 150-200 ms and I think that could create execution issues. With port forwarding, a customized open source router, and tunneling services, and optimzied ports I get 22-28 ms from Portland, OR to New York, which helps on scalping.

As for the youth being there I am 27 and been married 6 years. So I am not terribly young. Also I have always preffered competition over leisure. I used to spend most of my free time kick boxing before I blew out my knees the third time, after that I spent my free time as a competitive video gamer, now I think I have found the ultimate competitive outlet. I got the trading bug, I don't think I could stop trading!

#27     May 4, 2011
  8. How do you guys place in competitions? I started a trading club here at my state university last term, and my team and I arelooking for as many chances to compete as possible. Let me know about your competition.

#28     May 4, 2011
  9. I am not really an OMFG bottles kind of guy. Honestly if you ask me whether I would rather trade or party that day, it would ALWAYS be the former. I don't want to trade because of the money. It is hard to tell you why other than it just feel natural for me. I can trade from open to close and it feels like two hours went by. The closing bell is always too early.

#29     May 4, 2011
  10. Just realized most people covered it imo. Get the best finance related education you can get - it affords you the most options, regardless of career choice.

I also wouldn't worry about comparing exit opps between prop and bank trading at this point. There are tons of steps until then and if you do those well, you'll have great opps in either avenue.

GL either way.

#30     May 4, 2011