Best future contracts for medium term trading?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Ingrid, May 11, 2017.

1. Ingrid

Ingrid

Hello guys,
    I am new to futures trading and I was wondering if I could get any insight into what are some good futures contract to trade longer term (from a few days to a few weeks) with a relatively small amount of capital. In other words, I am looking for something with good liquidity and volume which I can hold for a medium period. For example, Crude oil (/CL) has too much movement for me to buy and hold and I do not want to day trade; the Eurodollar (/GE) moves to slowly for my taste I need something bang in the middle of this spectrum and preferably something with a small margin requirement. I was thinking E-mini Crude oil (/QM) or Corn (/ZC), what do you guys think?
    Thank you very much.

2. just21

just21

Google, what market trends best? You may have to do the search several times with slightly different words to get a good answer. Report back the result.

lovethetrade and Ingrid like this.
  3. Benihana

Benihana

You could try trading the 10yr. Corn is like the Eurodollars of grains imo. Most anything in the futures market will have good liquidity, so don't worry about it. Just find what you want to trade.

Ingrid likes this.
  4. lovethetrade

lovethetrade Guest

I like YM (mini-dow) for long-term trading but as @just21 said, markets that trend the longest are probably your best option.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2017
    Ingrid likes this.
  5. shatteredx

shatteredx

QM moves exactly the same as CL, just has half the leverage.

6B has some nice swings. My last sim trade on that was an 11 day swing.

Ingrid likes this.
  6. magicz

magicz

you're looking for swing trade CL and GC are the best. they trend a lot just dont look intraday.

johnnyrock and Ingrid like this.
  7. Handle123

Handle123

Actually, my favorite market is Eurodollars, I made a 60 minute and it is an generally always in system, too many traders look at markets or systems at what will give great profit, I look for what gives lowest losing trades and drawdown, you get the losing percentages way down, you can average down, and margins are incredible low.

Ingrid, Trader13 and lovethetrade like this.
  8. How about lean hog or live cattle? Outside the USA you could also look at ESTX50 (EUROSTOXX) or V2TX (Europe Volatility). In currencies you could look at M6E (mini EUR/USD) or MXP (Mexican Pesos).

Ingrid likes this.
  9. Ingrid

Ingrid

That is a good point, I have been consistently profitable with Eurodollars; The "Low" risk really helps me keep my cool.

10. Handle123

Handle123

So bump it up, when market down 3-4 ticks, add, what I tend to do, when trend changes, system does not get out as it is waiting for first retrace and with ave down lots, a sure loss ends up with small profit and reversing into with trend again. When it time for news, you can hedge instead of getting out.

#10     May 12, 2017
    Ingrid likes this.