Best Freeware Spyware prevention

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by 1flyfisher, Oct 8, 2007.

1. For Windows users, Spybot Search and Destroy is the shit. For Mac and Linux users, we do not have to worry about this issue for now.

#21     Mar 2, 2008
  2. Quote by Comptalk, “For Windows users, Spybot Search and Destroy is the shit. For Mac and Linux users, we do not have to worry about this issue for now.”

Why do you say that as Spybot seems to be very popular and many use it? What does “Mac and Linux” users need not worry about; Spyware or Spybot? Please clarify.

#22     Mar 9, 2008
  3. segv

segv

The best freeware spyware prevention is to run the Linux operating system.

#23     Mar 9, 2008
  4. #24     Mar 11, 2008
  5. Does that mean that Linux OS is the safest and we all need to migrate to Linux? However, have heard that it is tough to learn and maintain. Hence, we Windows users need some guidance as to what we should do?

#25     Mar 15, 2008

6. Spyware, viruses and malware are not currently present in either OS. Mac OS X is built off of a Unix kernal; such like Linux. Plus, with the little market share with both OS, virus writers target the 94% of world uses who use Windows vs the 5% who use Mac and 1% who use Linux.

Whether this holds in the future, I cannot tell you, but right now this is how it is. Ten years from now, probably the same just because of the huge market share Windows has on the world.

Macs are usually the easiest to use. Linux is not as difficult as it was several years ago. However, the problem is the lack of support major programs have for Mac and Linux. Tradestation or Esginal do not support Linux or Mac. Thus I have to use the service in VMWare Fusion to emulate Windows so i can trade.

#26     Mar 17, 2008
  7. JA_LDP

JA_LDP

they are rare, but you can get viruses and malware on a mac.

#27     Mar 18, 2008
  8. JA_LDP

JA_LDP

#28     Mar 18, 2008
  9. Thanks Comptalk for the explanations.:) So, the real case of Windows of being affected by virus is due to its popularity and not because it is less secure than Linux or Mac or Unix. Is there any trading software that can work on any platform (Windows, Linux. Mac or Unix etc.)?

#29     Apr 21, 2008
  10. I've used Spybot Search & Destroy along with Ad-Aware 2007 and recommend them both. They are both free.

#30     Apr 21, 2008