Best foreign language study book

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by Maverick74, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Hahaha, I'm learning Spanish as well, and I'm experiencing the same whenever I watch Univision.

They talk very, very fast!

#31     Mar 3, 2008
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

I heard good things about Michael Thomas. Can you expand a little bit more about what you liked about that particular course?

#32     Mar 3, 2008
  3. It's far more practical to just watch dvd's with Spanish selected as the audio and English subtitles. Newscasts and/or television programs without subtitles are just too advanced and difficult to understand until you have a real mastery of all the vocabulary, verb tenses, etc.

IMO, Spanish is far easier to learn than French ever was. Even after years of French in school, I had a hard time with the conversational aspects. Spanish, on the other hand, can be picked up relatively quickly.

#33     Mar 3, 2008
  4. wenzi

wenzi

Watching DVD's with the Spanish audio and SPANISH will help immensely. Watching with the English subtitles can become a crutch where you don't immerse yourself in Spanish. Also, when listening to conversation, sometimes you are not sure of the Spanish word the speaker is using and you can sus it out with the subtitles.

In the general sense , they French, Spanish, Italian, etc are all romance languages and are about the same. Now if you were comparing Spanish to Japanese...

#34     Mar 3, 2008
  5. DrEvil

DrEvil

Without going into too much detail, his courses aim to make language learning fun. I found other courses a chore, but with Michel Thomas he urges you to just relax and leave the responsibility of learning the language with him. I should add though, that there is no reading or writing involved. So although I speak spanish i have little experience in reading or writing ... I aim to remedy that by reading spanish books.

#35     Mar 4, 2008
  6. Agree. There is no better way.

#36     Mar 4, 2008
  7. sorry to hijack, won't bother again...

#37     Mar 4, 2008
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

Does anyone have any opinion on these college texts: Sabias que? and Punto y aparte? These are texts that are used at NIU in Chicago for Spanish 101, 102 and 201, 202 level courses.

#38     Mar 4, 2008
  9. Mvic

Mvic

#39     Mar 4, 2008
  10. Maverick74

Maverick74

Thanks for the suggestion. That software looks very complete.

#40     Mar 5, 2008