Best ETF or ETN that has inverse relationship to price of Crude Oil?

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by monty21, May 9, 2008.

1. I hold the minority belief that crude oil will reverse and fall steeply. I obviously can't exactly time this, but at the moment that I feel that oil has lost its edge based on some news or another factor, I believe all the bulls will take their profits and run. IMO oil has risen based on speculation. I don't think the fundamentals (demand, Fed's devalueing of the dollar) explain crude oils rise from the mid $40s in 2002 to $126 (today) six years later.

I think it would be rather dumb to short crude oil ETFs in this bull market, however, particurarly because of the president's of OPEC and Sach's announcement that it may reach $200 dollars a barrel. I also don't feel comfortable shorting individual companies like Exxon Mobil.

What are the best ETFs/ETNs that have an inverse relationship to the price of crude oil? I think the more conservative approach would be to buy these instead of shorting crude oil. I am not interested in specific companies, however, nor am I a fan of natural gas.

I greatly appreciate any suggestions.

2. dcr...but it only trades until June sometime.....

3. DCR as suggested, but no volume there. Short the USO fund. You can go long the dollar at a 75-80% correlation.

4. Mvic

Mvic

What about DIG and DUG.

5. S2007S

S2007S

DUG is close but not exact since it trades opposite of ^DJUSEN. DUG is tied to oil companies, best way to take advantage of this is to short USO, I would but there seems to be no shares available. Again DCR is a way but you really have to understand how it trades before buying, they are coming out with a new one at the end of JUNE based off of $100 oil which will begin trading around $25 a share, those will probably be popular since many are looking for some way close to short oil.

6. S2007S

S2007S

7. Thanks for all the quick responses. Very informative!

8. Mvic

Mvic

I've been following DUG for a few weeks now and it looks like a good stock to trade intra day if that is your style.

There are always options on USO.

Something else I have noticed is that the EMs usually start topping out before oil does and can give a decent oil short signal and perhaps more importantly can keep you out of an oil short.

A good site about oil fundies
    http://www.wtrg.com/prices.htm

9. Mvic

Mvic

10. Charly

Charly

#
    ##############################################

2 possibly dumb questions:

USO is which exchange??
    what are EMS??

Thanks for your help.