Best equity commissions?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by Hooked2000, Nov 1, 2005.

What is your commission rate?

1. Above .01 per share

9 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. .01 per share

5 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. .009 per share

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  4. .008 per share

7 vote(s)
    5.2%
  5. .007 per share

8 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. .006 per share

12 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. .005 per share

38 vote(s)
    28.1%
  8. .004 per share

14 vote(s)
    10.4%
  9. .003 per share

20 vote(s)
    14.8%
  10. .002 per share

21 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. why waste your time here? jsut go to ib at .005 all in no sec fee its the best rate yoiu can dream of.

#21     Nov 11, 2005
  2. just know that you can get .003-.004 when you move a few million shares a month, maybe lower if you go to less stable firms. you won't get that at your current volume. firms know that guys that don't trade size and are already complaining about commission costs trading under 10K shares a month will most likely be a pain in their ass, thus if you have spoken to any so far and have mentioned the size you trade, most likely they have not taken you seriously.....you have no reason to switch until you put up the volume. for now, focus your efforts on building your system and quit looking for some deal to save you $1000 a month, which is chump change.

#22     Nov 11, 2005
  3. I guess to some people 12k a year is chump change. To others it is a AMG payment. To me right now, it means something. I don't understand logic of giving away money. Whether it is commissions or paying too much for a car, house, computer, whatever.

Thank you for your response. I would like to know where the bottom rate is and work my formulas up from there. But I do need to know what to expect.

Thanks again
    G

#23     Nov 11, 2005
  4. r-in

r-in

greg,
    Why not start with Interactive Brokers and as volume increases you can demonstrate to another broker your size and push hard for lower rates. I've gotten the impression that Genesis negotiates rates pretty often, but I don't have a personal experience. 0.005 is pretty good unless you know you will be getting rebates alot via your methods instead of paying out.

#24     Nov 11, 2005
  5. ib at .005 with no sec fee's is an awesome all in rate. if you're taking liquidity on naz its like .00275 with no requirments

#25     Nov 12, 2005
  6. newguy1

newguy1

i currently pay .015 per share...thats 3 cents round trip.

this does not include sec fees, but does include ecn fees...

its an all in rate...we get no rebates. There are no min ticket charges or volume requirements.

So the other day I did mainly 50 share lots, maybe 100 on something like VLO.

Now i'm with a prop firm, but somebody tell me if this is

a) a fair deal

b) an unfair deal.

btw, we clear through genesis......

#26     Nov 12, 2005
  7. dantes

dantes

IB's rates at $0.005 per share is awesome for smaller traders (less then 1 million shares a month) and hard to beat. Many fund pros pay a lot more then that.

Getting down to say $0.003 takes about 10 million shares per month. You can come lower but then you have to be among the really big players (millions of shares a day).

To get even lower you have to become a direct member of nasdaq, NYSE and ECN's.

#27     Nov 12, 2005
  8. newguy1

newguy1

ib's rate of .005:

that does not include ECN fees, does it? what i mean is you have to pay additionally for removing liquidity, right?

Because if thats an all in rate, than its way better than my .015 per share/flat all in rate.

#28     Nov 12, 2005
  9. dantes

dantes

10. alanm

alanm

People keep tossing around numbers without mentioning that almost all of these sub-0.005 rates are +/- ECN and SEC fees. This makes a HUGE difference. You have to compare apples to apples. If you do nothing but take Naz liquidity in ~$25 stocks, IB's rate is equivalent to $0.0015 at a firm that adds ECN and SEC fees, which is pretty incredible.

#30     Nov 14, 2005