Best daytrading stocks?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by theapprentice, Aug 8, 2017.

1. What are peoples 'core' stocks that they daytrade here?

Back in the day, the good daytraders I knew traded a basket of stocks (as well as news plays for the day)

The core stocks were typically in the 30-60 dollar range. Good volume. Small spreads. Large volatility. Clean looking intraday charts.

I'm going back a while from when I last was interested in equities, but at the time, the stocks were things like QCOM, QLGC, SINA, SOHU, MXIM from memory.

I'm wondering what the current players are?

GILD looks like it fits the criteria from what I've seen, but I'd like about 15-20 or so

2. zdreg

zdreg

could you please define?

3. Kind of hard to define, but say we're talking about 5 minute charts for example ; some charts are 'messy' in that there are frequent large candles with large tails on either side, lots of 'overlapping' candles, price action that is often stuck in a narrow range, seemingly little 'order' in the candles etc. Not much 'ebb and flow'.

Usually the index trackers like spy and dia are 'clean' to my eyes

lovethetrade likes this.
  4. zdreg

zdreg

spreads are much smaller than the old days going from .125 down to .01. market makers,the known thief of wall street, got the SEC to agree to .05 increments in an experiment with certain stocks.

5. TEVA looks fairly good, although maybe not a big enough mover 'usually'.

Bid ask spread is 1 c at the moment on my screen 18.29 / 18.30

Take a random stock like PDCE, and the bid ask spread is 13c at 39.70/39.83, so that would not qualify as a 'core stock' for me

6. zdreg

zdreg

in the old days that would be consider to be a normal spread. this spread is not an issue if there is enough volume and volatility. if you want to participate and you consider the spread too wide just narrow the spread by putting in an order between the bid and ask. somebody might just lift your offer or hit your bid.

7. SteveM

SteveM

NVDA has nice intraday swings....love the gold mining ETFs (Nugt, dust, jnug)....FB, NFLX often trend well....I try to avoid Tesla (wide bid-ask, and tends to trap me for some reason)...APA has massive oil reserves so it tends to trend well when WTI is trending. PayPal had some nice trend days lately....financial etfs (XLF, FAZ)

8. vanzandt

vanzandt

If you have to ask, you're gonna lose it all.
    For real.
    Not a slam.

Gotcha likes this.
  9. At last, an actual answer!

thanks

10. Handle123

Handle123

#10     Aug 9, 2017