Best Daytrade Platform??????

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by surfrider, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Domineaux said :

"Were you scalping the tick for small intra-day profits? When you're only taking less than .5 points for the most part bad executions can put you out of business fast."

No I was not that type of trader. I do miss the days of fractions rather then cents. I averaged 100 trades a month scalping was not my game .

Seriously if you have not traded in 6 years you should not claim to be all knowledgeable about props VS home trading now. Try scalping on penny spreads today like you did 6 years ago when you could scalp a 1/16 point spread !! Not to profitable now is it .

#41     Jul 23, 2007
  2. I used a cable modem and DSL as a backup back in 1999- 2003.
    Cable service was with @ Home and was very unreliable , DSL was solid but slower.
    The point of me trading in my home was just that , I got to stay home !!!
    :)

#42     Jul 23, 2007
  3. I traded at home for awhile and did pretty well. I got nailed for some pretty good hunks of capital, when I couldn't get fills. I basically determined if I was going to trade I'd better get with the program or quit. Also, I wasn't trying to scalp the tick from home. I was taking swing trades, and watching my positions carefully... especially at the open and close. My principal complaints about fills were always the first 30 minutes after open and 30 minutes before close for the most part.

I moved my trading into Protrader offices. I really got to see and understand the value of an inoffice trading room. Protrader had several full time IT systems technicians. They had a broker every two rows for helping traders when things went awry. The personnel support was excellent.

The system would go down several times a week, sometimes it was Protrader servers, and sometimes the ECNs. When I was in a dozen positions the losses could mount up very fast, if I couldn't get fills. The brokers in our group had "like direct lines" to the ECNs and could get fills for us, which saved me a ton of money when something went down.

Trading with Protrader I learned just what "direct ECN access" means, and what liberties brokers use in applying the phrase to their trading system abilities.

After my experiences in a trading room I realized the reason I wasn't getting fills at home was for one very simple reason. Out of site out of mind. - The brokers could do or say anything and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it.
    Their server could have been down for the whole time to the ECNs and I couldn't prove zip.

In the trading room if an ECN went down or someone couldn't get a fill you'd hear a loud yell across the room. I mean if something was down or amiss with a bunch of traders in the room you heard about it very quickly. What a money saver/maker.

#43     Jul 24, 2007