best credential/degree for Asset Management ?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by billpritjr, Nov 19, 2013.

1. I wanted to ask you guys what do you consider to be the "best" credential/etc for asset management type jobs ? RIA Firms, Hedge Funds, etc

What do clients and potential employers like the most ?

Of the many that exist, the following seem to be more common

CFP (note I could care less about insurance guidance or how a widow should handle her estate)
    CMT (I do have an interest in technical analysis)
    CIMA
    CFA
    MBA
    CPA

Etc ?

Thank You

2. asset management is a pretty broad term. What type of financial instrument would you be interested in managing?

3. Thank you EvO. I was looking at the "RIA model" and management of equities.

4. buy side or sell side?

Some may get upset with this theory (and the industry is changed so you do need paper to get hired) but sales is sales. If you can sell shoes you can sell mutual funds or financial instruments. Just get your 6/7 and you are off to the races.

Buy side is a totally different story. If you have to ask you probably can't afford it...

5. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

As you aren't in yet:

Fundamental Trader:
    MBA from top 20 school
    B-Eng, BA from top 10 school

Quantitative Trader:
    PhD, MS
    B-Eng from top 10 school

If you are in the "club" then the degree is less important. Other factors matter (such as current performance, and fit)

6. Maverick74

Maverick74

Economics undergrad (preferably from a target school) and a Masters of Science in Finance or Master in Econ. Do NOT get an MBA. That is 100% fluff and completely worthless unless you want to work in management or sales or quality control. But hit the economics hard, I mean really hard.

7. non-controversial. Sales in itself is a unique skill/talent that if one has, can be applied to just about any field.

8. Hi Mav, I have a really good friend who is considering either an MBA or Masters in Econ though leaning towards econ and isn't sure where he wants to go. His interest is in trading/asset mgt. How did you select the school you went to? What were you looking for that made it stand out over the others .. location? faculty? cost? ... etc Thanks