Best Country for Trading (Tax efficiency)

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by ET873, Feb 3, 2010.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

Yes, it is hard to get residency in Monaco that's why it is safe, clean and exclusive. There is a policeman per 62 Monegasque and Monaco plus most postage stamp sized European nations are not EU members eg Lichstentein, San Marino, Andorra, Vatican. Malta is the smallest ( in size) nation in EU.

#161     Apr 9, 2013
  2. luisHK

luisHK

If one trades US markets, the time difference in Asia is abt 12hours btw, all other things equal, European spots are much more convenient than asians'.

#162     Apr 9, 2013
  3. dealmaker

dealmaker

Since we are in US, I was thinking of languages other than Chinese and having been to HK 3 times I doubt if one million of the seven speak enough English to be considered fluent.

#163     Apr 9, 2013
  4. luisHK

luisHK

Indeed, and the trend since the handover is towards a worse spoken english in HK according to what I read. Funny (not so for me actually) is that Singapore is better even when it comes to chinese (mandarin). Cantonese is an extra challenge for those moving to HK, much less useful than mandarin in other places of the world.

#164     Apr 9, 2013
  5. luisHK

luisHK

If living across the border in Shenzhen, although a whole bunch of dialects will be heard, mandarin is the legal language and most commonly used. It makes more sense to raise kids in a mandarine than in a cantonese environment. A bunch of international schools are found as well.

#165     Apr 9, 2013
  6. AlphaBeta

AlphaBeta

#166     Jul 27, 2013
  7. cmb

cmb Guest

Interested to know how you would be taxed as a us citizen if u are not a us citizen??
    My understanding is that u don't pay cap gains taxes on trading to the IRS, you pay your home country cap gains tax rates

#167     Jul 27, 2013
  8. AlphaBeta

AlphaBeta

That is also my understanding - if my home country has a tax treaty with the US. If my country does not, well then I'll have to pay the IRS. Am I wrong here?

#168     Jul 27, 2013
  9. dealmaker

dealmaker

If he is trading US markets full time, through a US broker then he would be subject to income tax, not capital gains whether he lives here is a resident/citizen or not; of-course barring a treaty i.e. unless that tax treaty gives you an exemption from IRS.

#169     Jul 27, 2013
  10. This is indeed correct. I am not a US citizen, trade US equities and derivatives through a US broker, and was required to sign form W-8BEN to claim treaty benefits.

http://www.sup.org/authors/docs/W8BENInstructions.pdf

#170     Jul 27, 2013