Best Country for Trading (Tax efficiency)

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by ET873, Feb 3, 2010.

1. smallfil

smallfil

Considering the US has the most billionaires than any other country on the planet, I can only imagine there are a lot of tax loopholes to exploit. Our corrupt politicians would also, be more than happy to add a few more tax loopholes to the US tax code in exchange for millions in campaign cash. Consult a qualified tax accountant or tax lawyers for their expertise. I am sure by now, they have a portfolio of tax avoidance and tax loopholes for their wealthy clients. As long as you are willing to pay, they will help you avoid paying a lot of taxes.

#1141     Jul 30, 2020
  2. Fred_11

Fred_11

I'm not sure it's Belize's (or the destination country's) laws that control here, but...I think it Canada's laws would be more pertinent; after all, you're making the case to the CRA that you are no longer a Canadian tax resident. So the Q is less 'how does Belize define residency?', and more 'What showing do you need to make to convince the CRA that, regardless of where you're moving off to, you're no longer a Canadian tax resident?' The laws of the destination country may be a data point they look to, but it doesn't seem like they'd be dispositive.

Right. That's why I wrote in my post that I am going to consult a professional, but was looking to do my own research first. Don't think that I'm going to take what I read here as gospel. Just soliciting feedback / opinions, and I'll filter as appropriate.

#1142     Jul 30, 2020
  3. Vstk_

Vstk_

There is no tax treaty to avoid double taxation: https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/programs/tax-policy/tax-treaties/in-force.html

So basically you need to sever all ties with Canada that might give them a reason to argue that you are liable to tax :
    - no local accommodation (including a relative's place that you would regularly go to)
    - no trading / making any money while in Canada
    - no spending more time in Canada than in Belize
    - no vehicle registered in Canada, no valuable belongings there... (the vital interests argument)
    - be able to prove that you are indeed a tax resident somewhere else : that is the part you need to check with Belize

#1143     Jul 30, 2020
    Douryan and virtusa like this.
  4. Daal

Daal

Bad news for people like me who have IB accounts of entities in a low tax jurisdicitions

"Urgent Matter Regarding Your Account
    Dear Client,

Due to changes in our requirements for organizational accounts from your jurisdiction, we've determined that we are no longer a good fit for your business and will be terminating services for your account.

We therefore request that you close or transfer all position and withdraw funds by no later than September 1, 2020. To make this closing process more manageable, your account will be restricted to closing transactions effective August 15, 2020.

If your intent is to transfer positions to a new broker rather than closing them in your IBKR account, please provide contact information for that broker and we will coordinate with their back office to make this transition as seamless as possible.

Please contact our Professional Services should you require assistance with closing your account.

Regards,
    Interactive Brokers Professional Services"

I use a Belize entity. I'm considering opening another entity elsewhere but I'm afraid I might face the same problem in a year or two. Any suggestions?

#1144     Aug 3, 2020
  5. otctrade

otctrade

It's not "offshore" but Corporate tax rate for Hungary is 9%

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    #1145     Aug 3, 2020
  6. virtusa

virtusa

Just ask any other broker if he accepts you. I know there are brokers that accept "offshore" companies as client. Because I had one before I moved to a low tax country physically.

#1146     Aug 3, 2020
  7. abotarga

abotarga

I've heard a couple reports like this, which is worrying. I've been trading under a US LLC with pass through taxation for a couple years without issue. However, I've been considering changing the ownership of the LLC to be another entity in a low tax jurisdiction rather than me owning the company directly. Hearing these reports though has me second guessing since I don't want my account shut down.

Has anybody else had problems with IB using a US LLC owned by a low tax IBC or equivalent?

#1147     Sep 27, 2020
  8. otctrade

otctrade

You were able to open an account as a foreign owned single member disregarded entity?

#1148     Sep 27, 2020
  9. abotarga

abotarga

Of course

#1149     Sep 27, 2020
  10. otctrade

otctrade

Interesting. All the major ones like Etrade, fidelity etc said it's not possible unless one member is in the US

#1150     Sep 27, 2020