Best combination of charting platform and data feed for swing trading?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by Merc, Jul 18, 2003.

1. QuoteTracker does collect and store the data locally. Since you have last used QT, we have added ability to see several days of data on the intraday charts - 2 for free versions, 5 for registered.

As for Scottrade, can't argue with you on that :)

#21     Jul 20, 2003
  2. Why can't I truely collect it and store it for as long as I want like a stand-alone charting program does? I do not mean a dynamic updating with a rolling 2 or 5 day stream.

If I want to collect 2 years worth of ES then let me....If I want to download asci format 1 min data then let me...what would it trouble you to allow that?

Michael B.

#22     Jul 20, 2003
  3. for performance reasons, QT keeps the data in memory. It is not feasable to keep the data on all stocks in memory for longer time periods. We will be enhancing the caching functions in QT, at which time we will increase the amount of data that the charts will show.

#23     Jul 20, 2003
  4. Yes, I am not a software engineer. But why can I just collect the 5 days that you now have locally....what does that have to do with your memory cache?

Pleae excuse my novice questions. I do not expect for you to give me an education that takes years of study.

But simply put from a simple novice like me....WHY?

If I have a file on ES data on my hard disk and I update with medved quotetracker why does it need to erase my data older than 2 or 5 days?

Michael B.

#24     Jul 21, 2003
  5. Well my answer is left unanswered as I guess it is obvious to people that know.....

Thanks for your time.

Michael B.

#25     Aug 22, 2003
  6. You can collect the data all you want. You can use the QuoteTracker API for it (http://www.quotetracker.com/help/qtserver.shtml). However, QuoteTracker will erase its data after 5 days. The file that stores the data cannot be read by other programs. What would be the point to keep it if it cannot be displayed? Plus, we would have to write custom code just to do that. Pointless.

#26     Aug 22, 2003