Best combination of charting platform and data feed for swing trading?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by Merc, Jul 18, 2003.

1. izeickl

izeickl

I use Amibroker (for ForEx but thats beside the point), its cheap compared to alot of programs with two versions from $99 to $199
    (only difference being $99 version cant go down to tick data, 1min is lowest time frame but dont need tick if your swinging), it can get realtime data from Metastock databases, QuoteTracker, ESignal and others has its own AmiQuote tool to load in free EOD from ESignal, MSN, Yahoo etc.

Can download a free demo, only thing it cant do is save changes to the database. It has everything you could want though, lots of pre-built indicators, build your own indicators, system backtesting......

http://www.amibroker.com/

#11     Jul 19, 2003
  2. I use a silver membership with Prophet.net:

http://www.prophet.net/upgrade/memberships.jsp

I think it's an incredible value. 60 days of intraday data is very nice to have for swing trading. With the Java charts, you can save your trendlines and text annotations like Margo was talking about too.

Take a look around their site, they have many nice tools. I really like having all of those watch lists too. It's a good way to stay organized.

Banker

#12     Jul 19, 2003
  3. BSAM

BSAM

Banker.......

Prophet.net would be great IF it didn't freeze constantly and IF quotes were consistently correct. Unfortunately, this just isn't the case from my experience.

Merc.....

Here's what I think is the best deal out there for the money:
    www.nextrend.com And no I don't work there. Their customer service had gotten REALLY BAD for a while. However, they are now making a much better effort in this area.

BSAM

#13     Jul 19, 2003
  4. Have you contacted them about your issues? I had problems with their java a long time ago and they told me how to fix my computer settings etc. It may work for you too. I have never had a problem with their quotes. My fills have been consistent with their stated real time prices. My only problem has been data spike errors on some of their charts. Usually they fix those pretty quick though.

Banker

#14     Jul 19, 2003
  5. YM trader

YM trader

I have a Gold membership to Prophet.net and it works great ($35.00 per month). Live stock and futures data, 60 days of intraday data, 130+ technical studies, and lots more. I have a very, very fast computer and I have never had any problems with their stock and futures data feed, even when I run multiple streaming java charts. I normally only use the futures data feed for the YM contract but I have watched others as well with no problems. I have other more expensive platforms but I find myself using only my prophet more and more. It is my thesis that I could trade all of my YM setups using only my prophet.net gold membership but this has yet to be proven.

YM

#15     Jul 19, 2003
  6. BSAM

BSAM

Yes, I have contacted them many times concerning my issues. I am glad others are able to use Prophet. Perhaps I need to purchase a newer computer. Been thinking real hard about that anyway. My Compaq is over 4 years old and outdated by today's standards. However, NexTrend runs in an excellent fashion, so I don't understand why Prophet does not. Believe me, I truly wish it would. I have worked diligently with Terrilyn at Prophet. Just can't make my computer function properly. Anyways, I recently signed up for a one year subscription to the Prophet Silver Plan. (This was before their so called "enhancements" on 6-11-2003.) Since then, my computer has never operated properly with Prophet. Since I am signed up for a year, maybe I will purchase a new computer before my subscription runs out.

Also, Banker, take a look at a highly liquid Nasdaq stock like DELL, CSCO, or INTC during fast market conditions. Has it been your expericnec that the quotes keep up?

BSAM

#16     Jul 19, 2003
  7. 4 years is almost an antique in computers. Maybe that is the problem. I guess there is only one way to find out. You would think if the problem was Prophet.net, they would be out of business by now....

Are we talking about letting java charts stream DELL,CSCO etc. or market matrix? I don't use market matrix. Honestly I never watch highly liquid stocks like that, but I do watch QQQ and SPY. They don't trade over the counter though. I have never noticed a problem with either ETF in java charts, and QQQ is the most liquid issue that I know of.

Let me know exactly what you want me to test, and how I should test it. I'll give it a shot for you. I won't be able to test dial up for you because I don't have access to that, sorry.

Banker

#17     Jul 20, 2003
  8. BSAM

BSAM

Banker....

Check your PM Box.
    Thanks.

BSAM

#18     Jul 20, 2003
  9. Why don't you allow your users to "collect" data and store it locally? Would this change the way your program works?

I am a full time ES trader an have used your service in the past, when I daytraded stocks. This was several years ago. I think I used dateks free feed, then when that was gone, I used scotttrade feed, but it was worth about what I paid for it (nothing) as it was down a lot.

Michael B.

P.S. I am considering using your service again for backup to my E-sig/Investor R/T set up.

#19     Jul 20, 2003
  10. It was 2 years ago but Hammer Trade w/ RealTick.

Best combination that I've seen with Equity.

Don't know right now.... I haven't touched equities for a while...

#20     Jul 20, 2003