Best Coffee

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nitro, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Wow I'm amazed that nobody mentioned Tim Horton's yet! If you don't have one by you yet, it's coming. DD and McD use to be my fav's but nowadays I'm not only addicted to hitting up Timmy's twice a day, I also have it at home. .....that's bad

#41     Jan 23, 2012
  2. OMG I thought I was the only person who likes BK's coffee I used to go to dd everyday but no more. The only problem is at the BK near me after 11am they never have any made so I have to wait for them to make a pot and then I feel obligated to tip the girl when she brings it out to me. On another note The best coffee I have ever had was at the Sandal's in St Lucia. I emailed them several times to find out what they use but never got a response. I've tried all that jamaican blue mountain shit with a conical burr grinder and french press but I can't replicate it.

#42     Jan 23, 2012
  3. nitro

nitro

It is very interesting what you say about your Jamaican experience, because I had the identical experience, and I too cannot duplicate it. I wonder if it was lased with Oxycontin or something :confused:

#43     Jan 24, 2012
  4. BryantR

BryantR

Love Blue Mtn Coffee...never had it in Jamaica though. I just pick it up at a local store and grind it fresh every morning. Sounds like I'm missing the real treat though...might have to take me a trip down to the Caribbean.

#44     Jan 26, 2012
  5. Lucrum

Lucrum

Most people drink coffee first thing in the morning. But is that the right way to do it? If you’ve ever had coffee and felt like it didn’t work, you’ve run into the field of chronopharmacology—the study of how medications and drugs interact with your biology.

When it comes to coffee, the main piece of biology to consider is your body’s level of cortisol—a hormone related to stress and alertness. The more cortisol in your body, the more naturally alert you are, explains Steven Miller at NeuroscienceDC. The more alert you are, the less effective coffee is going to be. So you should really time your caffeine doses with your dips in cortisol, Miller says:

Although your cortisol levels peak between 8 and 9 AM, there are a few other times where–on average–blood levels peak again and are between noon to 1 PM, and between 5:30 to 6:30 PM. In the morning then, your coffee will probably be the most effective if you enjoy it between 9:30 AM and 11:30 AM, when your cortisol levels are dropping before the next spike.

According to the National Health Service in the United Kingdom, the precise optimal time to drink coffee is at 2:16pm. They didn’t base this on cortisol measurements, but rather a survey of when workers feel the most tired. And if you really want to get the most out of your maximally optimal coffee experience, LifeHacker suggests taking a 15 minute (no longer) nap right after you chug your coffee—a strategy known as the “caffeine nap.”

Read more: http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/sma...fect-time-to-drink-your-coffee/#ixzz2im3xxyuU
    Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

#45     Oct 25, 2013
  6. Great Post.

Does the time that you wake up matter? If you wake up at 6:30 am, then I can see cortisol levels dropping between 9:30-11:30. But what if you wake up at 9am?

#46     Oct 25, 2013
  7. If you want it done right, do it yourself. Buy green beans from Sweet Maria's. http://www.sweetmarias.com/index.php

Roast them myself, and with a buddy. He has a commercial roaster, mine is a home made volcano fluidized bed. Runs off a Kirby vacuum and a dryer heating element.

Love the coffee. Drink too much of it, and about every 6 to 9 months the cardiologist says I have to cut back...:(

#47     Oct 25, 2013
  8. Lucrum

Lucrum

Couldn't say for sure, sorry.

#48     Oct 25, 2013
  9. iprph90

iprph90

For you sophistos try luwak.

I usually buy SB house blend from Costco. From time to time I will switch and try some exotics they bring in.

Ikea's dark and medium roast coffees are also very good and a bargain.

#49     Oct 25, 2013