Best City For Traders

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by TraderJoe08, Nov 11, 2008.

1. I live near Oz park, I take it you are referring to the fine ladies near DePaul you got to enjoy!

#41     Nov 12, 2008
  2. I know this thread is geared toward traders who have no dependents. well....how about for traders who just happened to be married and with kids? where would be a recommend? Or am I doomed......and there's no such place lol?

#42     Nov 12, 2008
  3. Seattle, U.S.A

Portland, U.S.A

Honolulu, U.S.A

Toronto, Canada

Québec, Canada

Montréal, Canada

Tokyo, Japan

Seoul, Korea

Lisbon, Portugal

Mark

#43     Nov 12, 2008
  4. NYC is the place to be. The reason is because more people are interested and closer to the markets there then anyplace else in the world.

Although its expensive to live, its quite fun.

Other cities I would recommend are Seattle and San Fran.

#44     Nov 12, 2008
  5. Syprik

Syprik

My current and favorite location is Denver after having lived in Boston, NYC, and San Diego. Nothing comes close for me, except the PNW (Vancouver) or S. France (Nice, Provence). Trade futures from 730am-2pm MST. Great schedule w/open afternoons allows for that "hmm, that felt like only a 1/2 day of work" vibe. 300+ days of sunshine, very moderate winters in Denver metro. At the foot of one of the best recreational playgrounds in US (Rockies). Will trade ES AH's from 7pm-10pm MST if there are plans to get in full day of powder (ski), hiking, cycling next day. Surprise powder days I'll trade opening 2hrs and am skiing @ 11-13k feet by 1030am to get left-overs the die-hard ski bums missed.

Trading is certainly fiscally rewarding if you know what you're doing, but the freedom/independence is what draws me most. Location, like for many, is absolutely critical for things I do "outside" of work. I could not live in NYC ever again, even if offered $500k+ set salary. Felt trapped in a box, even after having grown up in NY.

#45     Nov 12, 2008
  6. Yes you would :D and what if you don't like skiing/snowboarding? NYC could be helluva place or just 'hell'. i agree

#46     Nov 12, 2008
  7. No State Tax, Real Estate is a steal right now half-million dollar condos with views are going for $300k these days, weather always beautiful, Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, and Miami is practically Conn., NJ., NY, with a tropical background, and a much cheaper standard of living.

#47     Nov 12, 2008
  8. Syprik

Syprik

Take note of "I could not..." Just personal preference. And to re-iterate, I would absolutely never move back to NYC unless it was for important family purposes. Perhaps I would have a different mindset if $ was a dominant issue as it was when younger.

#48     Nov 12, 2008
  9. Except for those things called hurricanes! I do love south Florida though!

#49     Nov 12, 2008
  10. Well my life is pretty lean in the expenses and attachment field so i can probably go wherever i want. Right now i'm not ready to go and i know i kinda made a prediction that i'd have the funds to get going before 2009 is out but you never know it may be longer.
    I was just curious to see where some career traders would want to go if they could.

Personally, i would love to travel Europe and break the mold of the American stereotype of not knowing any other language besides English. Of course experience the overseas female population as well.

Chicago is a no go. I live in Michigan, i don't think many people realize how boring it is here. I mean once GM goes bankrupt it'll be the worst state in the country as far as social scene.

NYC is pricey, and cold.

Rio wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Gotta stay focused and hope this volatility keeps up and i'll be on my way.

Good luck guys!

#50     Nov 12, 2008