Best Christmas Songs

Discussion in 'Politics' started by rs7, Dec 22, 2002.

1. rs7

rs7

OK, I know that everyone loves Christmas. Can't find any fault in that at all. Very festive, just what we need once a year. Especially when the days are short (really cuts into after- market golf), weather can be miserable, etc., etc.

So we have this holiday season....no school, so the kids are happy (parents not so much....but compared to a long summer, not bad).

Lots of lights, lots of good cheer (yeah, there's always a Scrooge or a Max401), but generally speaking, people cheer up a little in the dead of winter (Well, middle of summer for Daniel_M and his fellow marsupials, and here in Florida, well, fake snow, but still short days).

And obviously, there is the religious factor. For Christians the world over, there is the celebration of the start of a wonderful era....AD. So Thunderbolt and such get their dose of whatever that experience is. And even the non Christians get to enjoy all the good cheer, New Years celebrations, office parties, Street Santas, happy movies on TV and in theatres. The works.

So, why is it that I always have a problem with an overdose of Christmas music??? Is it just me? I mean from Thanksgiving 'till New Years. We're talking a pretty long time. About 10% of the year.

It's not that I don't like Christmas music. I really actually do. I like all kinds of music in moderation (with the obvious exception of Led Zeplin and Pink Floyd and The Dead, which obviously no one can have too much of). I mean what tunes are more "humable" (is that a word?) than Jingle Bells, or Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, etc.? White Christmas? (Written by a fine Jew, like myself and I strongly suspect Traderfut2000). But gee, how many times can anyone listen to this stuff?? When I pledged a fraternity, on 'hell night" they made us listen to the same song over and over ("Goldfinger"). Too much of anything is simply too much!

Having said all this, what are the really best of the best of Christmas songs?

I myself would go with:
    1:Springsteen....."Merry Christmas Baby"
    2:Lennon..........."So This is Christmas"
    Distant 3: Beach Boys....."Little Saint Nick"

And then, a virtual 1000000 way tie for fourth, with maybe a little edge to "Jingle Bell Rock" and Elvis' "Blue Christmas" not so much for the music, but for at least trying to be fresh (in their day).

Now I know I am too old to be tuned in to whatever may be REALLY new. But somehow I don't think I am missing much. Does Eminem have something going on? Britney Spears? Yeah, I've heard the Black Sabbath rip off....In any case, I was wondering how others feel. I had a long ride in the car today...Played golf down in Miami (didn't see ElCubano, but looked for him). Nothing but Christmas music on the radio. Finally gave in, turned off the radio, and made my long distance calls for the year (love those free nights and weekends).

So, what am I missing? What are the really great Christmas songs? And what makes them great? I understand the good feeling that can be associated with them. But doesn't the overdose start to ruin things by the Monday after Thanksgiving? Is it me?

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and a belatedly Happy Chanukah and Ramadan to all. (and any other religious holidays, even the non-scheduled theologies, whatever they are).
    Peace,
    :)Rs7

2. since everyone is dying to know my answer....

o holy night

my favorite part is when it goes:

"fall on your knees
    oh hear the angel voices"

p.s. i'm not religious.

3. Being an atheist is gay.

Being an atheist with a favorite Christmas song is really gay.

Being an atheist with a favorite Christmas song and actually picking out a verse with "angels" is so incredibly gay as to redefine the very boundaries of gayism.

:cool: I'm just giving you shit. :D

4. lol i was just responding to the question. i don't really LOVE the song that much. as for the lyrics, i don't really care about them. my choice was based on how it sounds, not the words. the words are a bunch of nonsense... religion itself is a bunch of nonsense, aph.

5. doesn't adam sandler have a christmas song? Well his thanksgiving song is reallly nice :D

6. i might be thinking of the hannakah song... that's good too. Especially when he sings about Yasmine Bleeth

7. marcD

marcD

Yeah, very funny song. Sings about Springsteen too in that number, who I agree with has the best xmas song.

Now gordon and aphie.....is it true you are going to midnight mass together on xmas eve? You are both in the choir anyway,so why not stay for the late show? Have a little love fest afterwards in the spirit of good will to men?

:D :D :D :D

Marcd

8. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer:D

9. rs7

rs7

I guess I am really behind the times. That's a song?

Speaking of Reindeer...this is for Cathy from my strange cousin:

According to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, while both male and
    female reindeer grow antlers in the summer each year, male reindeer drop

their antlers at the beginning of winter, usually late November to

mid-December. Female reindeer retain their antlers till after they give

birth in the spring. Therefore, according to EVERY historical rendition

depicting Santa's reindeer, EVERY single one of them, from Rudolph to

Blitzen, had to be a girl. We should've known. ONLY women would be able

to drag a fat-ass man in a red velvet suit all around the world in one night

and not get lost.

10. MrDinky

MrDinky

AC/DC's 'I Want a Mistress for Christmas' usually gets me in the holiday spirit. I just pop it in the CD player and hit the repeat button for when family comes over.

:cool:

#10     Dec 23, 2002