Best Charting App For IB

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by AAAintheBeltway, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Just when I was feeling good...

#51     Dec 24, 2010
  2. NinjaTrader_Ray

NinjaTrader_Ray ET Sponsor

We have thousands of NinjaTrader/IB users who do not experience any crashes.

#52     Dec 24, 2010
  3. Picaso

Picaso

Had a few crashes a couple of years ago - some problem with the Windows NET.

Haven't had a single crash in - at the very least 18-24 months.

#53     Dec 24, 2010
  4. Quick update. Set up a few charts today and everything is running fine. Compared to QCharts, there are pluses and minuses. Ninja is far more powerful, with an impressive array of indicators, plus of course the ability to program systems or auto trades and backtest. It is not as intuitive as QCharts in setting up charts, but then what has ever been? I like the way it handles data selection. You don't have to master the intricacies of IB's symbol protocol. Just click on "ES 3-11" for example and it loads.

The main problem so far has involved the IB feed. Apparently they don't provide historical for things like the adv/decl, at least I can't seem to get it.

I also don't like the fact the individual charts don't display the daily high,low, last and change. You can pop up a window for individual bars, but not the entire session, which seems like a curious omission. Maybe not for the system traders this product is aimed at, but for chart traders it's annoying.

Of course, the big attraction here is you don't have to pay the hated commodity exchange fees. All in all, this is an awesome product. The help files on their website are very informative, well written(which is a rarity in my experice) and well-orgaqnized. I am sure other products like Sierra Charts are also very good, but the fact that this is free is hard to ignore.

#54     Dec 27, 2010
  5. NinjaTrader_Ray

NinjaTrader_Ray ET Sponsor

Thanks for the update.

#55     Dec 28, 2010
  6. SteveH

SteveH

For IB, Amibroker is a nice fixed-cost solution.

#56     Dec 28, 2010