Best Charting App For IB

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by AAAintheBeltway, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Just to clarify what I mean by using the historical data at the same time as real-time feed... I mean data that is daily, weekly, etc. (i.e. daily OHLC charts for instance) not additional back-fill for the real-time feed. The backfill still is provided by the data provider (IB or TT as an example) and is limited to a certain number of days back. For what I do, the backfill is adequate and not worth me paying for unfiltered. The historical data I get from SC is limited to end-of-day data only.

You can setup a configuration that nkhoi mentioned that involves combining multiple real-time feeds and backfill from different providers but this requires the separate instances of Sierra Chart and is more complex. I have never tried this personally but I think others have it working well so I know it can be done.

Kiwi_trader I believe uses a similar type of setup to provide more accurate intraday OHLC bars in IB's feed but I'm not sure if it requires separate copies of Sierra Chart or not. He can explain better how he does this but it has something to do with combining IB's TrueLive feed with a 5 second feed for more accurate OHLC data.

edit: I found this post on Sierra's forum which explains a little more about kiwi's setup. It looks as though with a little effort this can be accomplished in a single copy of Sierra Chart.

http://www.sierrachart.com/supportboard/showthread.php?t=28506

#41     Dec 22, 2010
  2. Thanks Ninjatrader and brock. EOD only data is not too helpful to me. There are numerous websites that provide that without the hassle of setting up s/w. I suppose my main issue would be that I have some daily and 60 min charts that I want to be updated in RT, as well as a lot of 5 min charts. With QCharts, you have the flexibility of going from 1 min to weekly or monthly data with one click and instantaneous backfill for weeks.

I suppose I will just have to try ninja and sierra out and see how they work.

#42     Dec 22, 2010
  3. BSAM

BSAM

Seven pages of drama...

AAA: IB + QT = Problem solved.

#43     Dec 22, 2010
  4. Not quite. I don't want to commit to a program that might not be supported for IB in the future.

Anyway, it's useful to have these reviews periodically.

#44     Dec 23, 2010
  5. I did get a chance to load a few charts on ninja last night and it seemed great. No issues at all with backfill. The charts look very good.

A few nits though. What is the deal with the crosshair cursor? It lights up the borders, etc. Very annoying, unless I somehow have something set wrong. Also, the bars seemed very far apart. I couldn't figure out how to compress them.

Is there an easy way to toggle between day only and 24 hour sessions? Also, can you make the cursor track on all charts simultaneously, like QCharts does?

My next step is to load up a full complement of charts and see how that goes. There is a lot to be said for a free program that is this sophisticated.

#45     Dec 23, 2010
  6. NinjaTrader_Ray

NinjaTrader_Ray ET Sponsor

May I suggest that you utilize any of our available support options from the list below. I have an amazing staff that is geared up to answer all of your technical questions. You will get the fastest support this way since I don't always monitor this forum on a daily basis.

I have taken the liberty to open a forum thread for your questions and have asked someone from my support team to address them. The link is here:

http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/forum/showthread.php?p=211444#post211444

Help Resources - http://www.ninjatrader.com/Support.php

#46     Dec 23, 2010
  7. Thanks again. I had looked at that page but didn't drill down far enough. The help resources are awesome and well organized, just takes some time to go through them. Nice to know that there is a knowledgeable help staff too.

The crosshair function could be better. It kind of obscures the bar it is placed on. Just make it do what QChart's crosshair does and it will be perfect.

All in all, I have to say I am very impressed with ninja.

#47     Dec 23, 2010

8. I may have to take a demo of this. Why no support for options?

#48     Dec 23, 2010
  9. What TWS Build are you running ? Because Ninjatrader has problems with some builds, like crashing 3 times a day.

#49     Dec 24, 2010
  10. LeeD

LeeD

I believe with Ninja-Trader (like in general use) you shouldn't upgrade TWS to the "latest greatest" whenever an invitation to do so pops up. Ninja is supposed to be used with the "recommended" build. The current build for Ninja 7 is 911.

#50     Dec 24, 2010