Best Charting App For IB

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by AAAintheBeltway, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Samsara

Samsara

Ah, thank you for sharing your insights.

I've sunk a lot of time into javascript so I could program my own efs and backtest the strategies into semi-mechanical systems, but at some point I recognize it's just a matter of re-educating myself in order to get the same result while dropping costs to 1/15th of what I'm paying now. $15 is nothing!

#11     Dec 21, 2010
  2. Although Ninja has been the main topic I would recommend Sierra Chart. It's not free but its hardly expensive for a trader and it gives a lot of potential freedom should you need it in future.

One example that I don't think others are emulating is that you can combine IB's 5 second (accurate ohlc) data with their live data to create a chart that is fully responsive but is corrected for OHLC errors as each 5 sec bar arrives.

I don't know what you trade but with HSI I couldn't use the live data because swing highs and lows are not reliable. I used to hit backfill every 5 minutes to fix the errors but don't have to with TrueLive.

#12     Dec 21, 2010
  3. TraderHG

TraderHG

#13     Dec 21, 2010
  4. IB works perfectly with IB fwiw.

I used it for 8+years before I recently moved to IB TWS charts(which are now good enough for me).

QCharts was and is still the most beautiful app for trading. It's just too bad QCharts software always ends up in the hands of bogus data providers. (although maybe things have changed? doesn't sound like it though)

#14     Dec 21, 2010
  5. TraderHG

TraderHG

quote: One example that I don't think others are emulating is that you can combine IB's 5 second (accurate ohlc) data with their live data to create a chart that is fully responsive but is corrected for CHLO errors as each 5 sec bar arrives.

Hi Kiwitrader, could please explain how you do it in ninjatrader or sierra chart? Thank you

#15     Dec 21, 2010
  6. This is exactly what I was wondering about. I had an issue with QCharts getting bad ticks in the enrgy markets. It went on for some time and was a nightmare. They finally fixed it, but no amound of saving is worth having to deal with something like that.

#16     Dec 21, 2010
  7. oops.....I mean QT works perfectly with IB.

#17     Dec 21, 2010
  8. I've been using Ensign Software now for quite a few years, with free IB data. Historical charts are provided with DTN data, included in the price. I believe it's $50 per month. I'm very satisfied. Very good customer support, they pick the phone up and handle your problem, not that I've had many problems.

OldTrader

#18     Dec 22, 2010
  9. Remember to use Kinetick, you need to have a licensed version of ninjatrader, even if you don't use it for live trading.

Kinetick is only usable for Ninjatrader and for no other programs.

OTOH I would indeed invest in a datafeed because IMHO the IB's datafeed is not good for charting. It's an ordering datafeed, not a charting datafeed like Kinetick or DTN/IQFeed or Esignal is.

Same goes for Zenfire/Rithmic/TT, these datafeeds are meant to place your orders, not bid/ask data for charting.

I would advise Sierracharts, they have everything you need and it's the most stable, fastest and advanced charting/trading platform on the market, and it's only $18 a month.

#19     Dec 22, 2010
  10. siki13

siki13

Sorry i dont get it,ordering datafeed?
    You mean charting that is based on last price(executed)?
    Isn't that most reliable way and what are the other mention charting
    datafeed using to print prices if not last price?

#20     Dec 22, 2010