Best cellphone for bad reception area.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lkh, Feb 12, 2009.

1. lkh

lkh

Hi i am looking for recomendations for a new cellphone for a weak signal area. I have a motorola i325 right now but it sucks. It drops calls constantly. I dont need a fancy phone i just want to make calls. My choices are Verizon or Alltell.

2. ess1096

ess1096

Now THERE'S your problem.

[​IMG]

3. wickcity

wickcity

If your choices are Verizon and Alltel, you only have one choice. Verizon bought out Alltel.

4. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Its AT&T but I sure like my Tilt (its really an HTC Kaiser) running Windows Mobile 6.0.

You can download an app called Bandswitch that gives you full control of the radios. You can make the phone use Edge exclusively when you are in bad reception areas so the phone isn't constantly trying to switch to 3G. This also greatly extends the battery capacity to several days.

My reception is much better than a friends Iphone. What a piece of junk that thing is. He can't even send/view multimedia text messages etc, has to hit some website or something to view them.

5. lkh

lkh

yes i know but in my state they are still running as seperate companies.

6. wickcity

wickcity

Which state are you in? Its only because the merger just happened. I used to work for Alltel, I was told from high up at Verizon that they will do away completely with the Alltel name.

7. indexer

indexer

How about a cell phone repeater?
    I don't have any first hand experience with them, but I looked into it a while ago.

http://www.repeaterstore.com/

8. bespoke

bespoke

my parents live in a small town and their house always has bad reception. people usually have to step outside in order to talk. with my nokia n70 i had to leave it by the window to get any bars. but my bb bold will work anywhere in the house with full reception, even the basement. so i suggest you give that a try. i'm sure you know at least one person with one

9. Lucrum

Lucrum

I just got a Sony Ericsson W350. Considering it's size so far I've been very impressed with it's reception.

On the downside the speaker and headset volumes could be higher and it didn't come with a ring tone that sounds like a phone (am I old or what?)