Best Broker/Platform for Mac User?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Boomer, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Why would anyone want to utilise a web based charting program which one has to pay a monthly fee for?

What about some customised indicator and you want to keep that private? NOTHING using the web is private.

#11     Feb 8, 2011
  2. PRT is very fast. Regarding your indicator... I don't think anyone cares about your optimized MACD. I think your Grail is safe.

#12     Feb 8, 2011
  3. Catoosa

Catoosa

Unfortunately I must agree with your analysis. I would prefer to use Linux but must use my hated choice of Bill Gates' Windows to get the trading platforms, charting programs, accounting programs, and PC hardware support required to function the best for trading.:(

#13     Feb 8, 2011
  4. Yeah, I understand your dilemma. I'm still forced to run on Windows XP because .NET doesn't work well enough under Linux/Wine. I can run some Windows based charting programs from Linux but for full support, Windows is still necessary. Linux is great for everything else I do though and if/when I can get my trading software to work well one day I will ditch Windows forever!!

#14     Feb 8, 2011
  5. But what if his Grail is... <i>Jack's indicator</i>? CIA, FBI, NSA, MI5, KGB, Mossad will all be monitoring him...

#15     Feb 8, 2011
  6. I hear it's going to be posted to wikileaks.

#16     Feb 8, 2011
  7. IB TWS works flawlessly both with Mac and Linux.

For charting ProRealTime is good, but comes with a proprietary feed.

QuoteTracker runs fine through wine, but will become unsupported from the end of 2011 on.
    AmiBroker is an excellent, programmable charting, backtesting platform. Runs satisfactorly on Linux / Mac through wine.

SierraCharts runs also well on Linux/Mac + wine.

#17     Feb 8, 2011
  8. Confucious said: engage brain before engaging mouth (erhhh writing snotty remark on a message board)

off to ignore list with you

Maria

#18     Feb 8, 2011

9. The only major exception to this is that Sierra Chart worksheets do not work properly under Linux and Wine from my testing. If you have found a way to have them work under Linux please let me know. I spent hours trying to get them to work and finally gave up. The other thing that doesn't work with Linux and Sierra Charts is you cannot compile a DLL. You have to compile it on a Windows box and then copy it over. Everything else seems to work ok though other than these two major drawbacks.

#19     Feb 8, 2011
  10. LOL... I don't always agree with Mr Atticus, but he's one of the few contributors <i>actually worth reading</i>. But if you'd prefer to ignore him (and presumably me, too) and instead read the garbage, I guess that's your choice, and your loss.

#20     Feb 8, 2011