Best broker for VIX

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by MustPlayOptions, Oct 23, 2008.

1. I posted this in the wrong category before and can't move it.

I'm used to trading with Fidelity but I want to start trading the VIX. I'm not looking to be a frequent day trader but am mostly interested in a safe broker with real time quotes and reasonable fills.

I was looking at some of the other threads in this section and people are mentioning combinations of things - I'm not sure what they mean, e.g. Ninjatrader/Mirus. Any explanation would be helpful.

Thanks,
    MPO

2. kxvid

kxvid

You mean VIX futures? Or options? Not many brokers offer VIX futures, maybe ICE does check them.

3. MTE

MTE

ICE is an exchange, unless there's a broker that goes by the same name.

4. MTE

MTE

Ninjatrader is a trading platform (aka front-end). It's just a piece of software. Mirus, on the other hand, is a futures broker.

However, you first need to clarify whether you want to trade VIX futures or VIX options. Based on your handle one could assume that you are talking about options, in that case something like Thinkorswim or Interactive Brokers should do the trick for you.

5. Thanks for the replies and explanations so far. I was thinking of VIX futures.

I've never traded futures before and am reading about them but when I went to check a review site on brokers there were hundreds so it was a bit overwhelming.

Given the 16 point rise today though maybe I should do options... I'd like to have the option to do either though.

Thanks again in advance,
    MPO

6. MTE

MTE

Before trading VIX futures/options I suggest you really educate yourself about them because they are the most misunderstood products. That is, the spot VIX index has very little to do with futures and options on VIX.