Best Broker for OPtions trading -margin req at Interactive Brok Canada are horrendous

Discussion in 'Options' started by Anion, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Anion

Anion

I am looking for a broker that has low prices and good margin rates. Interactive brokers Canada charges horrendous margin requirements. Selling a covered call requires a huge amount of margin much more than twice the margin required for owing the stock outright.

2. rew

rew

If the call is covered its sale shouldn't require any margin at all. Are you sure you understand your broker's margin requirements?

3. spindr0

spindr0

I had the same thought. To the OP, can you cut and paste IB's margin requirement for covered calls done in a Canadian account?

4. Anion

Anion

Yep with interactive brokers a covered call position requires 2-3 times the margin requirement for just being long the stock. I can never seam to make any money with IB because of the absolutely horrendous margin requirements for options.

5. Anion

Anion

6. def

def Sponsor

7. You mentioned margin rate then margin req, it is kinds of confusing because they are not related and I am not sure which one of them pissed you off more.

8. margin rate and margin req are not related, which one pisses you off ?

9. spindr0

spindr0

And where on that page does it indicate that "Selling a covered call requires a huge amount of margin much more than twice the margin required for owing the stock outright."?

10. Judging from the fact that "Anion" just registered this month, and all of his 3 posts are part of this thread, and that he simply regurgitated his 1st statement when others asked questions (without answering their questions at all) - I'd say he's just trying to steer people away from IB for some reason. Shill? Pissed about something else?

#10     Nov 22, 2010