Best Broker for IRAs

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by illinimatt81, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Then IB is violating US law. You may find out that your IRA becomes invalidated along the way. This is not something IB is allowed to circumvent.

#21     Oct 11, 2007
  2. The law states you can't have trades with undefined risk. So it's a margin account with some limitations (ie. no short selling). But otherwise it acts like a margin acount. TOS has the same deal. you can even short puts as as they're cash covered.

#22     Oct 11, 2007
  3. GTC

GTC

I should clarify. At IB, you can do similar type of retirement account transfer. When I wanted to convert a rollover-IRA to a Roth-IRA, IB CSR told me that it just could not be done at IB and asked me to do it at another brokerage.

#23     Oct 11, 2007
  4. Spunky

Spunky

This cannot be done at any broker. It's a federal regulation

#24     Oct 11, 2007
  5. Opra

Opra

Been doing futures in IRA and Roth for 2 years...Call IB and visit its website

#25     Oct 11, 2007
  6. thanks spunky,

#26     Oct 11, 2007
  7. With IB, I can sell naked future put without enough cash to cover the possible loss. Is it a violation?

If due to a black swan event, my loss is more than my account balance, what will happen? Who is responsible for the loss, IB or myself? I can't fund the IRA account. What will happen?

#27     Oct 11, 2007
  8. ids

ids

Futures margin is actually performance bond requirements. It does not involve money borrowing and it is legal to trade futures and futures options on IRA account. Your loss is your responsibility.

#28     Oct 11, 2007
  9. GTC

GTC

It can actually be done if you meet certain criteria. In 2010, it will be allowed even with less criteria according to the regulations. Almost all of my other brokers can do it.

#29     Oct 11, 2007
  10. I would assume if you do have a loss and your account is liquidated and you haven't enough cash in the account to cover the performance bond thus requiring a cash infusion into the IRA...it could result in an IRS nightmare?

#30     Oct 11, 2007