best broker and trading platform?

Discussion in 'Options' started by mktmkr, Nov 14, 2006.

1. mktmkr

mktmkr

can anyone recommend a broker that provides a good risk mgt. software...like Microhedge...without the monthly fees...just starting out and would like a way to view a complete options matrix with all available strikes, bid/ ask and size, also very important...implied vol at current level and ability to input my own vols to get fair value
    basically looking for some thing like Microhedge, but for free,

also any suggestions on starting out...broker, hardware, software

2. try thinkorswim

QUOTE]Quote from mktmkr:

can anyone recommend a broker that provides a good risk mgt. software...like Microhedge...without the monthly fees...just starting out and would like a way to view a complete options matrix with all available strikes, bid/ ask and size, also very important...implied vol at current level and ability to input my own vols to get fair value
    basically looking for some thing like Microhedge, but for free,

also any suggestions on starting out...broker, hardware, software
    [/QUOTE]

3. mktmkr

mktmkr

just opened an account with them today, will take a while to sort out the platform....any other suggestions as to what i should be doing other then funding the account and putting on a trade..i have never traded a customer account and would just like some basic recommendations that you would give anyone just starting out...the common pitfalls and mistakes newbies normally make
    thanx for any comments

4. Grant

Grant

MM,

I'm puzzled as to why you are asking these questions. Who knows better than you - a market-maker - how to trade? You've probably forgotten more than the majority will ever learn. And what you don't know probably isn't worth knowing.

And why are you always looking for the "free"? How many ex-mm's need to claim welfare?

Grant.

5. mktmkr

mktmkr

i know where i can buy the info...whats wrong with seeing if it's available for the asking...just trying to save some leg work...and why is it pissing you off so much...if i knew and you asked...i'd tell you...maybe...if you're nice

6. nkhoi

nkhoi

your best bet is TOS

7. I like the Think or Swim. On my first trade I didn't notice that the options size default was set to 10. Such a dumb thing to not notice. I was offsetting a 500share underlying so i just needed to cover 5 but it cost me a bit on the spread and commish.
    Other than that it's a nice platform.

8. too bad think or swim does'nt have a public API.

9. mktmkr

mktmkr

sorry for the ignorance...what's public API ?

10. application programming interface (i think). allows programmers to write software that connects directly to their software / servers. allowing for automated trading / custom apps. I spoke to them about it once, they said they were only interested if I was willing to open an account with more than 1mil + in it.

#10     Nov 15, 2006