Best book on Lifting

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nitro, Jun 2, 2010.

1. thats not a good launching point for a newb to physical activity. :D

#31     Jun 3, 2010
  2. fhl

fhl

If you want to build, remember the principal of progressive overload. Don't get into the trap of doing the same thing every time you go to the gym. I was there at one time. Add some weight and decrease reps every week over a ten or twelve week cycle.

If you want to make it a lifestyle, you'll have to guard against getting stale and burned out. To guard against mental staleness, do different lifts. Like flat bench one time, incline dumbells the next. To guard against physical burnout, don't go to failure on your sets. These are things I've lived and learned. If you just want to hit it hard for a few months and get in shape, you can forget this and just go to failure on a regular basis. But after a while, you'll quit working out.

Whatever you're doing, if it doesn't work, try something else. Something will work. Become convinced of it. Don't start thinking that you're just a hard gainer, etc.

Good luck.

#32     Jun 3, 2010
  3. I have worked out pretty much all of my adult life, and I have always gone to failure, where I couldn't possibly do another rep. Perhaps a reasonable countermeasure would be to do fewer sets per muscle group. In this manner, you keep it intense but do not necessarily overtrain. And you get to spend less time in the gym. No?

#33     Jun 3, 2010
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Ivan, do you want to spend any money on this? If you do, I'll tell you where to go in Chicago to get into even better shape then Christian Bale.

#34     Jun 3, 2010
  5. #35     Jun 3, 2010
  6. fhl

fhl

Over the years I've read a lot about one set to failure training, but never really seen it implemented. Like I said, whatever works.

#36     Jun 3, 2010
  7. over the YEARS *I* heard stories about training hard but never tried it haha whatever jesus h :D

#37     Jun 3, 2010
  8. nitro

nitro

John I am all ears.

The thing I don't get is, you go into the army and you do pushups and situps and you run and 100% of those guys are in great shape. Maybe it is that easy, or am I missing more workouts behind the scenes?

I couldn't give a shit about "six packs" or anything like that. In fact, that level of definition is ugly to me. For me, the most important part is my upper torso. Let me see if I can find a picture.

#38     Jun 3, 2010
  9. nitro

nitro

#39     Jun 3, 2010
  10. My old 3-phase workout...

Cheerios
    Tanning
    Cocaine

#40     Jun 3, 2010