Best book on Lifting

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nitro, Jun 2, 2010.

1. I don't think there is a rule for the number of sets or repetition we need to do. Our body is able to adopt to stress which would result in muscles growth. I believe if we try to use larger weigh each time, and do it enough for the body to recognize that this is going to be done on a regular basis, your body willl adopt and muscles will grow.

#11     Jun 2, 2010
  2. Another thing, which is from a risk management perspective: Don't use free weights, because you can never trust spotters, no matter how many of them you have at once. All it take is one hottie in her tight spendex gym clothes to walk out of the yoga class, and you'll end up with a bruise on your chest.

To me, free weights are good for impressing the guys only, which is not on my priority list.

PA

#12     Jun 2, 2010
  3. p90x is pretty good workout if you want to do something at home. I am into my 3rd round of p90x with a round of Insanity mixed in and it's been good for me. As others have said, diet is just as important and that is not my strength either.

I started thread on TL about p90x and there's some other great info in the thread as well - http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/f18/any-p90xers-board-6322.html

#13     Jun 2, 2010
  4. Here, do this routine for two months and get back to me...

All exercises should be done with a weight that is challenging. You should be able to complete the first set without any help/spot. On the second set you should need a little help/spot. On the third set you should be barely able to complete the set even with help/spot. Positive failure is the aim. Once you can do the final set of any exercise without help/spot, it’s time to bump up weight for that particular exercise.

You will also need to start consuming more calories than usual, in order to allow growth. As well as eating prior to the work out, to allow sufficient energy to really work out at maximum intensity.

For circuits, do each exercise in order and only once to complete a set. You should have minimal rest between exercises to increase cardiovascular fitness. Rest between sets should be about two minutes.

This program is designed to increase bulk and strength for football in general. It should be done for no longer than two full months, before you need to change up the routine. Like working on position specific muscle groups. It will give you a very nice base to build from.

For best results on the field, apply plyometric principles to develop explosiveness.

Day 1 (Heavy)
    Core exercises WK1 WK2 WK3 WK4

1 set of 12 reps to warm-up, than 3 sets of 8 reps. The warm-up should be about 20-30lbs lighter.

Bench press wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    Squats wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________

Circuit #1

3 sets of 8 reps.

Lat pull downs wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    Lower back extensions wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    Standing Rows wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    High shldr curls wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________

Circuit #2

3 sets of 8 reps.

d.b. bench press wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    Shrugs (x12) wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    d.b. chest flies wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    Arnold press wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________

Circuit #3

3 sets of 8 reps.

Leg press wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    Step-ups wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    3 way calf raises (x12) wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________

Day 2 (Heavy)

1 set of 12 reps to warm-up, than 3 sets of 8 reps. The warm-up should be about 20-30lbs lighter.

Inc bench press wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    Power cleans wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________

Circuit #1

3 sets of 8 reps.

Lat pull downs (r.h.) wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    Seated rows wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    Tricep extensions wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    Power shrugs (x12) wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________

Circuit #2

3 sets of 8 reps.

d.b. inc bench press wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    Shldr press (r.h.) wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    Lateral raises wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    Vertical raises (x12) wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________

Circuit #3

3 sets of 8 reps.

Leg curls wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    Leg extensions wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    Sit-ups (x50) +5lbs/WK
    Leg scissors wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________

Day 3 (Light)

1 set of 16 reps to warm-up, than 3 sets of 12 reps. The warm-up should be about 20-30lbs lighter.

Bench press wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________

Circuit #1

3 sets of 12 reps.

Lat pull downs wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    Standing Rows wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    Lower back extensions wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    High shldr curls wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________

Circuit #2

3 sets of 12 reps.

d.b. bench press wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    d.b. chest flies wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    Shrugs (x20) wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    Arnold press wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________

Circuit #3

3 sets of 12 reps.

Leg press wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    Step-ups wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    3 way calf raises (x20) wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________

Day 4 (Light)

1 set of 16 reps to warm-up, than 3 sets of 12 reps. The warm-up should be about 20-30lbs lighter.

Inc bench press wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    Power cleans wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________

Circuit #1

3 sets of 12 reps.

Lat pull downs (r.h.) wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    Seated rows wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    Tricep extensions wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    Power shrugs (x20) wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________

Circuit #2

3 sets of 12 reps.

d.b. inc bench press wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    Shldr press (r.h.) wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    Lateral raises wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    Vertical raises (x20) wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________

Circuit #3

3 sets of 12 reps.

Leg curls wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    Leg extensions wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________
    Sit-ups (x50) +10 reps/WK (no weight)
    Leg scissors wt:________ wt:_________ wt:________ wt:_________

Notes: d.b. = dumbbell, r.h. = rear of the head

Since you have no weight lifting experience, your strength will feel like it's going through the roof at first...which will keep you coming back for more.

#14     Jun 2, 2010
  5. Muscle and Fitness mag is good. Here is a web site to a guy that trains football players. Sort of a legend in the SouthEast.

http://www.coacheyer.com/Sparks.html

#15     Jun 2, 2010
  6. I used to read it a couple of decades ago. It is fairly redundant. Each month you get some bubble boy showing his version of curls or rows or some such, along with generally repetitive articles. Think of S&C magazine with the newest and latest tweak of some old but colorful indicator. Over and over again, month after month. Aslo, I found it laughable that some of the big boys will promote whatever supplement Weider might be selling and swearing by it, all the while the elephant in the room ('roids) rarely if ever gets mentioned. If it were not for the juice they were taking, they would not be offered endorsement deals for largely superfluous supplements.

#16     Jun 2, 2010
  7. Check out this 54 year old guy.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YgkYG2QPYXg&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YgkYG2QPYXg&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QXomumwqSBk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QXomumwqSBk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I like his idea of 5 meals a day. :D

#17     Jun 2, 2010
  8. I'm not sure that a split routine is the right way to go right at the outset, since the sets per muscle group during the introductory period should be fairly low and not very intense. Over time, as the number of sets increase to a reasonable level, and as the person learns to work to failure, thereby increasing intensity, then a split routine makes more sense. Just my opinion.

#18     Jun 2, 2010
  9. This is good advice:
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wkqW_AkXtZM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wkqW_AkXtZM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

It'll definitely help when you want to get some definitions on those 6-pack abs you'll be having, nitro!

#19     Jun 2, 2010
  10. Standing (upright) rows are not rotator cuff friendly, especially as we get older.

#20     Jun 2, 2010