best backtesting

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by neonv301, Dec 6, 2010.

1. neonv301

neonv301

hi guys which do you think is the best backtesting tool out there? please also consider the tool should have optimization and forward testing as well. i am trying out ninja, but will be looking at amibroker and metatrader as well. futures and forex mostly.

2. Backtesting what? For most things a few lines of VB will do it just fine. No need for programs and more spyware in your PC.

3. neonv301

neonv301

you mean DDE in Excel? I know some VBA but do I have to write the indicators? It would be great if I can invoke them somehow.

4. ESignal has a very robust platform.

5. bigsky22

bigsky22

Following up on comment from Trader3cnd...can anyone elaborate on spyware placed on my PC from my strategies? From any particular vendors & what exactly do they look for? How would I find that out? Thanks much.

6. I've found Forex Strategy Builder very useful. It can optimize, keep some of your data as OOS, can write custom indicators in C#. So long as your data is in a simple csv text format, it can backtest on anything, forex, stocks, futures, etc. I haven't used other tools so can't offer an opinion on how it compares to others.

7. MGJ

MGJ

I'm interested in second best backtesting.

I figure that "best backtesting" has got a lot of followers and new devotees and hangers-on; but second best is most likely a smaller cult following with less clabber-of-the-ignorant. Do you agree?

8. Bob111

Bob111

+1 for VB..best backtesting tool is the one that you create for yourself,for your specific needs.

9. and while you're at it, make sure you get second best broker, second best data feed, and pay second best commissions.

Sounds like a winner to me :)

10. neonv301

neonv301

i want a second best wife lol.

#10     Dec 10, 2010