Best Backtesting Software for a Newbie?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by sneakoner, Aug 31, 2011.

1. maybe they're trying to save money by focusing on the product? thats what they claim on their website for not having a contact number

i have started using Amibroker and their website isn't the greatest but the support is pretty good, i got an answer within 24 hrs on a Saturday.

the software does look pretty good and its pretty much what i'm looking for in terms of backtesting. its just a pain to learn the coding language but its part of the game i guess

#21     Sep 4, 2011
  2. GordonTheGekko

GordonTheGekko Guest

Lightspeed has some hft functionalty, albeit coding required (as usual) - does amnibroker do this as well?

#22     Sep 4, 2011
  3. bbs

bbs

Try Confidant (on iPad). It's a comprehensive backtesting tool that is super easy to use, and has full customization power without the programming.

#23     Apr 22, 2014
  4. ch0c

ch0c

I feel that the high price of these software packages are absolute highway robbery for the retail trader.

That goes triple-time for a software package that doesn't offer a full capability demonstration (ahem AmiBroker, yes were looking at you AmiQuotes)

Charging a monthly fee for a software package that DOESN'T provide data is a scam, plain and simple. If you are versed in any of the object orientated programming languages or a linux vet go with the open-source variety. Or with a little ingenuity you can use a 'demo' forever, heh heh heh. Have you ever asked yourself why they charge these extreme prices for software? It's because a sucker is born every minute. I have no problems paying for SERVICE, (i.e a data feed, online server usage, vpn, shells, etc) however paying for software that is most likely a smorgasbord of once upon a time open source code is against my morals and ethics. There is usually ALWAYS a good, free, open-source equivalent for whatever you are attempting to do on your computer. (with the few rare, justified, exceptions like reasonably priced powerful software, donation ware, etc)

Being a retail trader I don't have the funds to pay the silly asking prices of the wares on offer. Besides, if I were to purchase/rent any software when it comes to trading I would accept no substitute and only get the best (Bloomberg or Reuters, but that takes you out of retail in effect)

Oh yeah, and protrader 3 (which has good free forever demo accounts right now) is kinda like a MT4 for stocks/futures, and has a good back tester. Not to mention you can import the MQL indicators from MT4 and program in either C# or MQL which gives it a hell of a lot of potential even though its in its infancy. Not to mention it looks DAMN good with a newer interface (not like win98 looking ghetto AIQ, Sierra Charts, etc. that make you blind with their bright white GUI)

Bottom line; hack the planet! paying for overpriced software is a chump's game! Open Source, Free, Or DIE!

#24     Apr 22, 2014
  5. Which software do you mean? Sierra Charts?

#25     Apr 22, 2014
  6. By the way, I remember reading that buying stocks that have been down for 3 consecutive days is a winning strategy in the long run (close of day 2 is lower than close of day1, and close of day 3 is lower than close of day 2), so the backtest should give you good results.

#26     Apr 23, 2014