best antivirus

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by r.miner, Feb 24, 2010.

1. 'trojan/viruses' etc are designed to defeat/bypass/stop av sw working, whether
    or not there's been a timely update, depends how the av sw's designed

Spybot wouldn't prevent 'hard' t/v it's only good for . . .
    HijackThis doesn't prevent, only records some of what's starting on boot, so
    hard t/v mostly won't register there

following are the main av test sites - test programs vary - their results are now
    in pdf format only:
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews
    http://www.av-test.org/index.php
    http://www.antivirusware.com/testing/performance/

#21     Mar 3, 2010
  2. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

3. ammo

ammo

spybot doesnt update new protection automatically so you have to occassionally go pul it up add it's updates

#23     Mar 9, 2010
  4. I use firefox for web browsing and Webroot for anti virus/spyware and I never seem to have any viruses or spyware on my computer according to the scans i run (full sys scans every ~3 days). Now, either firefox/webroot combo is the very best there is or things are slipping by and my software isn't picking them up.

anyone else use firefox and/or webroot and have any comments?

#24     Mar 9, 2010
  5. pwrtrdr

pwrtrdr

I use Safari and Web root. Couple times week, I have it on automatic scan at 9:00 pm every night, but at times my machine is off at night so not getting every night

Seems ok, like you say "seems"

Once in a while I run AVG free download...

FIREPLACE rocks! FIREPLACE.. too funny, very generic

#25     Mar 9, 2010
  6. Thanks for the informative replies, Wallace & ammo :)
    Guess we need to have an anti-virus software and others like "Spybot" or "Hijack.exe" to protect our PC to have maximum security. Is that correct?

#26     Mar 17, 2010
  7. Dunno , dude-seems all these things do is slow your pc down and stuff all else.

However, just FYI, had been using comodo firewall (not csi) liked it a lot, checked for updates-nothing, but for the heck of it, checked the site-Woohoo!! they now have CSI , integrated anti-vir+firewall.

Wait, CSI is a television program, maybe it was CIS. Nevermind, dont bother downloading version4 unless you are an advanced user, because it wont effing install. Period.

I should have known-only been out a few weeks, practically a beta version, like all things software , "wait" until it's proven itself.

Worst thing, is i stupidly uninstalled previous version Comodo firewall prior to this, trusting the brand/company (hey, its free, how much trust is available for free) then finding it wont install.

Only to find, it would "eventually " install as an integrated update. All I had to do, was NOTHING, and it might have worked great.

Yay.

#27     Mar 17, 2010
  8. joe4422

joe4422

I've always run the free version of Avira and the free version of Malware bytes. Never had a problem in years. I have heard good things about NOD as well. AVG is too clunky and never performs well in test compared to others.

#28     Mar 17, 2010
  9. Disappointed with avg

#29     Mar 17, 2010
  10. Ditto. I also have Anti-Malware Bytes as backup in case MSE missed something.

#30     Mar 17, 2010