Best and Worst CNBC Commercials

Discussion in 'Politics' started by TraderJimR, Apr 29, 2002.

1. aura0663

aura0663

Thanks Lob-learn something new everyday

#41     Apr 30, 2002
  2. One of my favorite ads, in addition to many that have already been mentioned, is the BMW ad where we hear the dreamlike voice in the background, throughout the ad, that turns out to be the driver giving directions to a bemused couple.

#42     Apr 30, 2002
  3. I like the one where the guy looks at his stock hit all time highs then goes into boss's office to quit. When he gets back to his cubicle his stock is tanking.......

#43     Apr 30, 2002
  4. That also reminds me of one about this guy sitting on his couch watching a tape of (probably) March 2000 showing CNBC-type airhead announcers talking up the market with the usual . . . "Nasdaq 10,000!" . . . "There's just no limit to how high this thing'll go!"

#44     Apr 30, 2002
  5. Nebeno

Nebeno

Anyone see the one for Etrade (I think it was) that aired during the super bowl (awhile back). Started out with these two old guys sitting in a little garage in a suburb just staring into space (looked either retarded or drugged), then a chimp starts dancing on a trash can between the two for about 30 seconds. Then it says "we just wasted 2 million dollars, what are you doing with your money?" Loved that one.

And yes, that bloody Aflac duck is getting annoying.

#45     Apr 30, 2002
  6. Not really a commercial so to speak

But one thing I can't forget is the San Diego weather man with the quote of the year. " The odds of it being sunny tomorrow are as likely as QCOM going up tomorrow."

Needless to say .......QCOM dropped like a rock for the first time the next day.

The beginning of the bear

Robert

#46     Apr 30, 2002
  7. Kymar

Kymar

Welcome to the world of daytrading, my man...

I am destroyed!

No, wait, I'm back...

... How could you have forgotten that one, y'all?

Glad to see that so many of you hate that Fidelity ad... that ugly condescending laugh from the wife "I can't believe he said that," that stupid kiss/"perfect" gesture the husband makes during the map of the market segment... man I hate that... Those CSFB excrementally smug yuppie commercials - staring at the camera looking well-to-do and very regular while jazz plays - were kind of in the same category, also annoying in their own minimal way

#47     Apr 30, 2002
  8. just though of another annoying one.
    I think it is a Schwab commercial with the 2 sisters babbling and the one keeps interrupting the other . They are almost as annoying as Maria B during her commentary at the market open.

#48     Apr 30, 2002
  9. What is cow tipping? Well, supposedly, cows sleep standing up. So, you sneak up to the cow and give it a push, and it tips over. Cow gets pissed and chases you. Hilarious. This is the basis of the joke in the commercial. "Cow Tipping" jokes have been on TV for years.

In reality, its more of an urban legend(rural legend?). The cow usually isn't asleep and doesn't want visitors. We tried it in High School just for the hell of it(because we heard so many jokes about it). We didn't think it would work, and it didn't. We didn't actually tip over a cow. Them cows is too smart(Yee Haw!) Actually, this was in the Chicago 'burbs(NW Indiana) Bored teenagers cruising around in old muscle cars looking for laughs.

The current craze in Chicago bars is "Midget Tossing" I don't know the origins of that one.

Neither of these activities can compare to the fun of that other teenage late night small town sport-"Mailbox Baseball"

Only in America...

Peace

#49     Apr 30, 2002
  10. Kymar

Kymar

Left out probably the best, most memorable line from the Welcome to the World of Daytrading ad... I think it was: "I just made twelve dollars like it was nothing."

#50     Apr 30, 2002