Best Alternative to US Citizenship

Discussion in 'Politics' started by tman, Dec 12, 2009.

1. tman

tman

I'm thinking about getting out while they still let us. My priorities are access to healthcare, reasonable and stable taxes, and personal liberty. Switzerland?? Singapore??

2. Canada? except for taxes part

3. In Europe, Monaco (very tough to get citizenship, but residency is possible if you can prove sufficient, legally obtained financial means), Switzerland, Cyprus are decent. Monaco has zero income/capital gains taxes. Switzerland has a flat tax regime for foreigners that has to be negotiated individually by the country you wish to live in. Cyprus is an EU country with a relatively low tax rate.

Obviously, Monaco and Switzerland are heads and shoulders above Cyprus in terms of quality of life, but also in price.

If one can obtain a non US citizenship, the UK and Ireland are attractive on the "non-dom" remittance basis tax regime for foreigners. Google has more info.

4. tman

tman

3rd generation Italian. I can prove it.

5. There's no perfect country because I can think about a dozen reasons why any particular country is a poor choice.

With that said, I myself and several close friends live abroad with no regrets. Therefore, if those reasons you've listed are you most important...try Canada or France.

Mark

6. tman

tman

If you don't mind, did you renounce???

7. Let me recommend Texas.

8. Unless you are going to renounce your citizenship it does not matter where you live. And if you renounce you need a new citizenship and places like Switzerland, or Monaco are not going to give them to you.

While in the past it was possible to get citizenship with money, interestingly unless you happen to be a billionaire they are not interested in you.

For those that say you can negotiate your own tax rate in Switzerland. That is also getting harder and harder. It really depends on how much money you make and which Kanton. And since you are American it does not matter that you pay less in Switzerland since the Swiss are going to give that information to the American government anyways and will ask you to make up the difference.

9. Bocas del Toro, Panama

10. moarla

moarla

well, i think it gets easyer every year. every year the numbers are going up taking residence in switzerland with flat tax.

#10     Dec 12, 2009