Best Advice You Could Give A Beginner?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by kteira, Dec 27, 2019.

1. kmiklas

kmiklas

The number one thing is this: to trade, and trade real money—NOT paper trading. Get in the game. Take your lumps, learn from them. You will lose on some trades... but never lose the lesson.

I remember an interview I saw with an Air Force pilot instructor. He said that pilots can fly simulators, take classes, study, watch videos... whatever... but there is no substitute for “Time with air under your ass.”

Go for it! Push!

Honestly I think that this is true for many things in life. Want that job? Go for it. Want a date with that pretty girl? Let her know. Want to run a marathon? Train hard. You will not win in this life as Mr. Softy... especially in trading, where you are ultimately taking the counterparty’s money.

#81     Jan 15, 2020
    _eug_, Wide Tailz and comagnum like this.
  2. Exact same thing hooked me in the beginning, long puts on BP during the big blowout. Thought it would be sooooo eazy........

#82     Jan 17, 2020
    ironchef and kmiklas like this.
  3. kmiklas

kmiklas

Yeah I hit two buyouts in a row when I first started. I was in on Solar City when Tesla bought them, and in on SGI when HP bought them.

I thought, “Easy! Just pick companies that will get bought out, and make tons of profit!”

Lol... I was in for a wake-up-call.

#83     Jan 17, 2020
    ironchef likes this.
  4. Cabin111

Cabin111

I have been waiting years for Bunge (BG) to be bought out. Nothing happens...Year after year!! But there is great "sell to open" options for the company, since traders feel it will happen someday...I just do my covered calls (out of the money big time) and wait.

#84     Jan 17, 2020
  5. I am also new to this topic and I have read each of the comments and they are very useful

#85     Jan 30, 2020
  6. ironchef

ironchef

Yes, it has been like that since 2009 and we all think we are trading geniuses.

#86     Jan 30, 2020
  7. _eug_

_eug_

DON'T USE ANY LEVERAGE WHEN STARTING OUT!!!!

I wish I took this advice myself.

#87     Jan 30, 2020
    comagnum likes this.