Best 19" LCD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CoolTrader, Nov 11, 2005.

1. nitro

nitro

There is only one test you need to perform on a monitor - hold a piece of white paper next to it and the closer the whites are to the piece of paper the higher the quality of the monitor. The way to do this is to go to accessories and open a wordpad and maximize the window. Type some text and see how clear it is. [Note I am talking about trading - I don't care about applications that are graphics intenstive with lots of motion on screen.]

I have seen many monitors. They are getting closer and closer in quality. But I saw the 940B next to many monitors and nothing compares.

I own a bunch of Samsung 191Ts that I bought a few years and they still look great. I spend 8 hours a day in front of them non-stop trading and then some more at night. Never a headache or eyestrain.

You may have to turn the brightness down a little bit say about 20% level. The monitor is bright to drive the contrast up, but when viewing subtle color changes like in some email or accounting applications where rows have alternating shades to make it easier to distinquish the row you are on, it may bother you if the brightness is on too high as the colored rows may look washed out. Test for this before buying any high contrast/brightness monitor and see if adjusting the brightness gets you the sweet spot between high contrast and distinguishing subtle color changes. I did this on the 940B and it was stunning.

In addition, you will notice that on many multi-head graphics cards, the monitors don't look the same on each output from the card. The way to see that it is not the monitor is to alternatively connect the monitor on different heads of the multi-monitor card and notice a change in the appearnace of whites (you can change cables too to remove that contigency, but it is the card output that makes the difference.) High end multi-head digital graphics cards seem to do better than cheap ones.

Finally, the lighting in your room will affect the pleasantness of your monitors. Don't use bulbs or lamp covers with too much (any ?) yellow in it.

nitro

#11     Nov 12, 2005
  2. I've got my 940B from newegg. Good quality, no dead pixel. Compared to the 17" Princeton LCD I have, It need more adjustment. There is one thing l don't know how to adjust. The line of fonts looks too thin, as if they had to set to boldface to look normal. Anyone can help on this? Thanks.

#12     Nov 18, 2005

3. Regarding your font question, I didn't notice where anyone mentioned the "clear type" setting, which is buiit into XP, so I'll post for those who may not be aware of it.

For LCD's, XP users only, go to Display Properties/Appearance/Effects/Check Box "Use Following Method to Smooth,etc."/Set to "Clear Type".

If that isn't enough to satisfy your urge to tweak further, here is a "Clear Type" utility on steriods.

http://www.ioisland.com/cleartweak/

Piggybacking on your post, if I may, the previous post revealing the white paper trick is a good one. Once you train your eyes to see the differences in various monitor brands of contrast/brightness, you'll appreciate spending the few dollars more for quality.

I've found that I like the newer "daylight" bulbs for room lighting (Reveal by GE).

Hope this helps.

st

#13     Nov 18, 2005
  4. #14     Nov 18, 2005