Besides VIX, what other securities are "forward-looking"?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by mizhael, Feb 24, 2010.

1. The VIX is not forward-looking. It confirms what is happening. A forward-looking thing I use is the etf EWZ.

#11     Feb 26, 2010
  2. inet

inet

Why EWZ? Thanks.

#12     Feb 26, 2010
  3. This sounds like a joke. I could accept pending home sales or consumer sentiment index or CEO future guidance of a large company (bellwhether) but not VIX.

Even doing peak and trough analysis (looking at your highs and lows) will give you an indication of directional bias but I wouldn't give two craps about volatility.

#13     Feb 27, 2010
  4. The DX.

#14     Feb 27, 2010
    #15     Feb 27, 2010
  6. Besides some crazy arithmetic to arb some non-existent opportunity, why would you use this?

Everything in the market is "forward" looking based on expectations billions of market participants.

#16     Feb 27, 2010
  7. Interesting. Where to read more about high prob. setups?
    thanks!

#17     Feb 27, 2010
  8. Yeah, interesting! Why EWZ?

#18     Feb 27, 2010
  9. The most recent example is Wednesday & Thursday. Wednesday, EWZ was trending down, SPY was not. Wednesday night into Thursday morning, we gapped down big. Thursday, EWZ was trending up while SPY was going sideways. Eventually, SPY went up.

Also, look at the daily chart of the last three months. You can see EWZ went down a lot sooner than the S&P. Emerging and overseas markets typically drop and rise sooner than US markets.

#19     Feb 28, 2010
  10. That is a reasonable explanation...so what parameters would you use to effectively trade this logic...if at all?

NiN

#20     Feb 28, 2010