Berniennials United

Discussion in 'Politics' started by elderado, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Right. I can tell you that the majority of JC and Community College students have a low or very low high school GPA. I recruited from these schools for years when we were looking for Apprentices. But hey, what do I know?
    College G.P.A. Requirements

High school GPA requirements for an incoming freshman applicant are different depending on which institution is evaluating an application. For many Ivy League, Big Ten, and state universities, for instance, the majority of incoming freshman students have a high school GPA of 3.75 or higher and require a minimum of a 3.0 average. These types of universities, generally, require an applicant to have graduated in the top quarter of his or her class.

Smaller universities are likely to view a 3.0 average as the baseline for first round applicant choices, with students who have grade point averages between a 2.5 or higher also being likely to gain acceptance. Other universities might only require a 2.0, and that is also typically the standard for most colleges.

Many community colleges, however, have no entrance requirement or only require a high school diploma or GED for admission.
    https://www.bestvalueschools.com/faq/what-should-my-high-school-gpa-be-to-be-accepted-into-college/

#21     Aug 14, 2019
  2. Maybe you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Can't educate the willfully ignorant. I'm done with you on this topic. Stay stupid if it helps you sleep at night.

#22     Aug 14, 2019
  3. RRY16

RRY16

What backwood state do you live? ..Nowadays if you don't have at a minimum 3.5 and a decent SAT/ACT, you wont make into most decent colleges.. ..plus most the kids now are taking AP classes. Most the bad loans are from online colleges, Quasi nursing schools or half backed grad schools. All the info on College is out there for anyone to research. Hillbilly U or Jesus Freak U don't count.

#23     Aug 14, 2019
  4. vanzandt

vanzandt

The Big 10 lol... how low's the grid-iron waiver?

[​IMG]

Can you go lower than that?
    Someone call the SEC and ask Saban.

#24     Aug 14, 2019
  5. You are the "genius" believing schools are acting like banks and loaning students money and then asking for government to bail them out with loan forgiveness. hahhaha

#25     Aug 14, 2019
  6. College loans should be and should have always been between the student and the college.

Just imagine how that would lower costs...

#26     Aug 14, 2019
    AAAintheBeltway likes this.
  7. Why should schools realistically loan money, they are in the business of education. They are not hurting for students that they need to start providing financing like an auto dealer who offers financing/leasing to promote sales of the car.

This is the price, you have to pay it. You want to lower pricing, make competitors hurt them via online learning, state schools, community schools, etc.

For those in real need who qualify there are scholarships, work study and access to federal loans even. If you want to be adult enough to sign up for private loans then learn what it entails. None of you were crying for homeowners who bought homes with mortgages 3x higher than their income. They learned..pay or get out.

People.complain that college should be free or you deny poor and middle class access to keys to upward.mobility. no need to go to Michigan as am out of state and pay $200k or.more.total for a history degree....go to.another school in state or start JUCO and transfer.

Schools won't lower tuition because they build new buildings, pay alot of staff, maintain acres of property etc.. Loan forgiveness is mainly for federal loans anyway so it is the governments fault mainly.

Stop.absolving spoiled children who cry for handouts like farmers under GOP governments

#27     Aug 14, 2019
  8. Because their fees are so high, few would be able to afford it otherwise. Without government backed student loans, something would have to give.

I am willing to concede that the original idea of backing these loans was well-intentioned, but it has fueled an obscene inflation in university tuition and fees, and can no longer continue. The original idea was that both the students and the country would benefit from their getting a college education. We see now that premise is deeply flawed.

#28     Aug 15, 2019
  9. Well I am not sure you can say the premise is deeply flawed. The majority of people who went to college were able to get better jobs and careers and be mroe successful. Your gripe is with the few who graduated with a useless degree and are struggling to pay their loans back (I dont buy the cant find a job bullshit they just are too picky).

Bernie and the others on the right are just blowing this problem out of proportion just to make it an issue for the election. You guys are all buying into it.

College education is expensive but again, mainly private institutions and this is a free market and there are other options that people can choose to force colleges to compete.

But the idea that all graduates are defaulting on loans and this is a major issue is just Bernie stroking your rods and getting you all excited.

Where are the facts to back this up?

FACT: 2019, and Americans are more burdened by student loan debt than ever. Among the Class of 2018, 69% of college students took out student loans, and they graduated with an average debt of $29,800, including both private and federal debt.Feb 4, 2019.

Let me highlight that the average student debt is $29,800 and in general the average pay off period is usually 10 years. 10...fucking years....

So although 70% of students are graduating with loans, the majority of loans which amortized over a 10 year period result in a slight debt burden that anyone with a job could pay off if they choose not to spend like fuckwaffles.

Believe that private colleges are really expensive. Believe that a % of students are picking a major that leads to nothing but entry level nothing.
    Believe that there are alternatives that don't require federal loans being forgiven on tax payer dimes.
    Believe that schools don't lend money

But don't believe that the AVERAGE student is graduating with crippling debt that prevents them from buying a home or starting a family or driving a Lexus and drinking 2 SBUX a day bullshit.

Put the responsibility on the student graduate and show them what consequences are.

#29     Aug 15, 2019
  10. https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/data-mine/2014/10/07/student-loan-expectations-myth-vs-reality

More information, the average debt is $30-$40k according to this survey and payment is a fixed 10 year period. The report says many take up to 20 years to repay. So that means they have done workouts or refinancing to stretch out payments.

Go to an amortization calculator and see what monthly payments are for $40,000 on a 10 year period with 3.5% interest rates. is it cheap? no. But it is a cost.

Again, I agree universities are charging a huge price for tuition and books but no one looks to the facts of what students are actually dealing with, you are only listening to the sob story of someone graduating with $120,000 in debt and a history degree earning $30,000 a year in a job.

This is where information and facts should be shared with parents and children at the high school level. Rather than forgive $500 million in loans, spend $10 million on education programs to teach about student loans and consequences and advocate for other alternatives. Default rate drops by half within 10 years.

University is a ticket to a better career and future but only if you do it the smart way.

Also loan forgiveness should be reserved for how they did it in law school. If you go to law school but choose to work in the public sector, they offer you significant loan forgiveness. The reason is if people go to law school and pay $180,000 and public defenders/prosecutors/lawyers for non-profits earn $40,000 a year, no one would ever go in those sectors.

Same with teachers for example. We want educated people teaching our kids but to get a degree and then earn $30 to $40k if you are lucky in public school. Work with them to forgive loans etc..

But the fucktard who went to private school and majored in Latin American studies and has no idea how to use that should be forced to pick up trash from the side of a highway for a year before forgiving any loans. Get something for it.

#30     Aug 15, 2019
    LS1Z28 likes this.