Bernie Sanders rips Greenspan a new Hole..

Discussion in 'Economics' started by reflexivetrader, Jul 15, 2003.

1. TM,

The fact of the matter is that California has increased its power supply quite substantially in the last 2 years, be it from already existing power generation companies, or new ones such as Silicon Valley Power. Again, having a State like California which is the World's 5th Largest Economy ( generating $1.3 trillion ) having its energy needs met for the next 3 years is pretty impressive!

Moreover, you must also realize that major power generation companies like Duke, Blythe Energy ( Florida Power & Light ), Mirant ( now filed for bankruptcy ) not too mention Calpine did not even get involved in building power plants in California until AFTER de-regulation.

And yet there are complete morons out there like "Maxpi" who actually believe that California's Energy woes were incorrectly blamed on the energy traders from the likes of Enron, Dynegy, and Reliant.

One read of the Wall Street Journal article from last year about the 28 year old energy trader from Enron's Portland, Oregon office and how he bicycled his way to work each morning to then "manipulate" supply/demand situations on various power grids with California's ISO and accounted for hundreds of millions of dollars in revenues for Enron would dispute any argument to the contrary. Funny how people from outside the Golden State have everything figured out for us!

Also interesting is the fact that we have had VERY hot temperatures over the past 4 weeks here in the San Francisco Bay Area, in which the high temps in the East Bay have hit the high 90's and even low 100's on a regular basis, ( and the overnight lows only down to 75 degrees ) and yet NOT ONE ROLLING BLACKOUT!!!

Gee, I wonder what has changed?

Can you say MORE POWER and NO MORE MARKET MANIPULATION???

Thank You.

:D

#21     Jul 22, 2003
  2. ....They are also buying at inflated prices from other companies....I read one article where hey were authorizing 10 billion to be bought......also, I live in Florida....Please spare me this temperature crap ..:p ...It's been 90 since May 1st and it will be 90 to at least oct 1st....at night it gets down to about 78.....and we've never had this problem which is amazing considering the rapid growth of FLa....we should pass NY by 2010 census in population....although that is just all the new yorkers fleeing here to get away from NY.

#22     Jul 22, 2003
  3. You really must be a total moron just like Maxpi.

How could you even think about comparing the commerce and economy of the State of California with that of Florida?

In fact, would you care to tell me where Florida last ranked with the other WORLD ECONOMIES?

CALIFORNIA IS 5th IN THE WORLD.

You must be totally brain dead.
    The next thing you will most likely tell me is that Disneyworld and your Orange Juice Crop account for $1.3 Trillion Dollars in goods and services. . . LO

You have no credibility whatsoever.
    You have no argument because the basis of your logic is totally weak. Who uses more power, dude?

People and their Residences, or Commercial Businesses?
    It's not even close, and you are a complete idiot for telling me about the population of Florida. You make me laugh!

One question: Where did you graduate from college?

:D

#23     Jul 22, 2003
  4. Ranked 16th in the World as a World Economy.

And we all know that most of the Gross State Product (GSP )comes from the "service" sector, aside from construction ($33.6 billion) and citrus ( $1 billion ).

So don't even try telling me that Florida has the same kind of power (electricity) demands that California does. Florida's economy doesn't even come CLOSE to matching the same kinds of power demands that the Golden State has.

So much for admitting that you are wrong, and "retracting" your earlier statement., as you said you would. Gee, you must really have a BIG EGO, eh?

Like I said, it's always funny how people like yourself, that don't even live in the State of California purport themselves

:p

#24     Jul 22, 2003
  5. Another SELF-PROCLAIMED EXPERT ON THE SUPPLY/DEMAND EQUATION OF CALIFORNIA'S POWER GRID BITES THE DUST.

Say hello to Mickey and Minney for me!

#25     Jul 22, 2003
  6. Greenspan is living in a fantasy world. He claims there's a "recovery", well, tell that to the millions have lost their job in the last 2 1/2 years as Greenie was frantically cutting rates. This has been the longest increase in unemployment since the 30's. All the kings horses and all the kings men can't put this economy back together again.

Greenie keeps talking about productivity, as if thats' the cure all for the economy. Productivity has been really good over the last few years, but it hasn't meant didly to the economy. Trillions of dollars have been lost. Deficits are hitting records. California is teetering on the brink of bankruptcy. Personal bankruptcies are hitting records. If it wasn't for housing and for the consumer opening their wallets and putting everything on credit, when'd have the worst recession in the post war era.

#26     Jul 22, 2003
  7. jbtrader23,

So what would you have him do? Raise rates? He can't stop companies from exporting formerly well-paying manufacturing jobs to Asia.

#27     Jul 22, 2003
  8. Face it, manufacturing in the United States of America is dwindling as a percentage of the overall contribution to GDP.

Sad, but true.

#28     Jul 22, 2003

9. Sorry I couldn't respond....I was busy at a business meeting in Ft. lauderdale at a place called Cheetahs......You are a complete ans absolute ass......When i was comparing Florida to California, i was referring to the weather and making a joke about the fact that it turns 90 on may 1st and hit shtat mark or higher every day until oct 1st.....Can you show me where i compared their economies??? You are really california paranoid.....In addition, you still have not proved me wrong about the california energy problem...all you keep saying is they have the 5th largest economy....and florida has the 16th......who the F cares??? Bottomline is that California has big power problems, lost a lot of business to Texas and is on the verge of bankruptcy and a recall of their governor....wowwww...what a place to live....no wonder california is so messed up.....millions of losers like you walking around...don;t worry though, due to the booming economy created by millions of illegal immigrants , pretty soo we will have mexican leadership and voices out of California..:D

the 5th largest bankrupt economy !!! WOW!! 100% of 0....is still 0

#29     Jul 24, 2003

10. http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/states/sep_sum/html/pdf/rank_use_all.pdf

I';ll let you....seems like texas consumes more then anybody....and Florida is right up there.

#30     Jul 24, 2003