Bernie Sanders rips Greenspan a new Hole..

Discussion in 'Economics' started by reflexivetrader, Jul 15, 2003.

1. msfe

msfe

#11     Jul 17, 2003
  2. Thanks for that link, as I didn't watch the original. I'm a little surprised that Sanders would want that exchange on his website, since it makes him look like an idiot in my opinion. Greenspan might be 85 years old or whatever he is, but he's still too fast on his feet for the likes of Sanders.

Here's the problem in a nutshell. People want cheap consumer goods. Intellectuals and internationalists for decades rhapsodized over the "shrinking planet" and the "growing interdependence among countries". Well, it turns out that interdependence means some union can't force an employer to pay you $30 an hour for labor that can be done for $.30 an hour somewhere else. Now suddenly, for Sanders and others, that is a big problem. How else are these third world countries going to develop? The very same people who bitterly criticize the US for not pouring enough money down the foreign aid rathole don't want to let these countries develop a sustaining economy.

In a away it mirrors the minimum wage/livable wage debate here. The advocates of such policies are fond of saying they are not obsessed with the free market or some other such drivel. It's kind of like saying, I'm not obsessed with gravity. You may not be impressed at all by gravity, but it still is not a good idea to jump off the top of a building. Ultimately the market decides what a job is worth. Yes, there is some room to shift economic rents between various factors of production, but all this talk that CEO's shouldn't make so much, while true, is pretty irrelevant on the micro level. Otherwise, the government could pay us all $100k a year to dig holes and fill them in and we would all be very prosperous.

#12     Jul 17, 2003
  3. maxpi

maxpi

Yup. California is going to be a nice place for a trader to live eventually but there won't be many jobs. I'm looking at Santa Barbara as the premiere place to live, maybe San Francisco area, maybe both if I have the bucks. Environuts blocked every permit for a power generation station for decades and then energy traders took the blame for high costs of energy.

Max

#13     Jul 17, 2003
  4. The last time that I checked, California has added over 9,000 MEGAWATTS of POWER over the last year. This is a FACT. And you say that power companies aren't willing to set-up shop here because of the costs?

Wrong again.

Yesterday, we ( yes, I am a native ) had the highest power demand since 1999 and didn't even come close to a "rolling" black-out. This is another FACT.

Furthermore, there is no need to enter the spot market for power anymore because all of this NEW POWER is on CONTRACT!
    So much for not being able to get energy companies to build more powerplants in California.

In fact, as it stands now California has enough power to quench the growth of the State and its energy needs for the next THREE YEARS! Not bad for a State that would rank 5th in the World as a global economy with goods and services exceeding $1.3 trillion!!!

TM, please tell me how this could happen if it weren't for new power generation coming online? Or are you going to tell me that Californians are now super conservationists and have dramatically cut their demand for power?

And Maxpi, did you just crawl out from under a rock or did you not hear of how the California energy grid was being manipulated by the likes of Enron, Dynegy and Reliant?

You must be smoking some serious crack if you think that these energy "traders" were making "genuine" bids and offers in the spot markets.

GET REAL AND STOP TALKING OUT OF YOUR ARSE!!!

:)

#14     Jul 18, 2003
  5. McCloud

McCloud

#15     Jul 18, 2003
  6. The greatest place on Earth to live!

Strategically placed between Lake Tahoe and Monterey.
    You can't get any better than that.
    Period.

#16     Jul 20, 2003
    #17     Jul 21, 2003
    #18     Jul 21, 2003
  9. could you please name me a private company the built a new power company located inside of California in the past year?

SILICON VALLEY POWER.

The power you are talking about is coming from Texas ...and they have PAID thru the nose for it.......But I may be wrong, so please put up a list of the new power companies that rushed to California to build new plants and I will retract what I said?

Sorry Buddy, but the power is NOT coming from Texas, nor is it coming from anywhere out of the state of California.

Check the following State of California Energy Commission website and you will see that all of this power is coming from IN STATE:

http://www.energy.ca.gov/sitingcases/backgrounder.html

http://www.energy.ca.gov/sitingcases/current.html

I think you need to brush up on your Energy Econ 101A as it pertains to the Golden State.

:p

#19     Jul 21, 2003
  10. This page gives an over-view of the projects that have been filed before the Commission, approved or licensed by the Commission, and projects that have been built and are on line. For projects that have recently withdrawn, please got the withdrawn list. Twenty-three projects totalling 5,046 megawatts have been withdrawn since 2000.

Did you read this??? look at how many have withdrawn since 99'....open up the link and scroll down how many have withdrawn their application...nice link too.

#20     Jul 21, 2003