Bernanke comments and the consumer

Discussion in 'Economics' started by NY_HOOD, Jul 10, 2007.

1. That is a very good point. I was essentially standing in front of a tree seeing just the tree, you just helped me take a few steps back and see the forest. Thank you.

GL and GT

#21     Jul 11, 2007
  2. Great post.

#22     Jul 11, 2007
  3. I completely agree with your post.

And if my area is at all indicative of the rest of the country, the unemployment rate is actually lower than 5%. Our last estimate put this area at about 2%. Employers are trying to find workers but there aren't any.

#23     Jul 11, 2007
  4. the unemployment rate doesn't include those that have run out of unemp. insurance or stopped looking for work...

the rate is likley around 8%....

all this shortage of workers BS is floated by pro immigrant (illegal to legal) special interest groups

#24     Jul 11, 2007
  5. You can make those claims all you want, but the other day I had to go looking for people who wanted a job because we really can't find any that aren't bottom of the barrell meth addicts. We also have a large Mexican population. Numbers are just numbers but those involved in the hiring process here know what they are seeing.

#25     Jul 11, 2007

6. Questions:

1. What kind of jobs were you trying to fill?

2. What was the pay range for those jobs?

If they are low level jobs paying sh*t then this isn't surprising - there is always a shortage of people willing to work for below market wages, with the exception of methheads and illegals.

Another factor is the presence of a large Mexican population may have already resulted in many others moving elsewhere to find work that pays a reasonable wage. The end result is you are left with the dregs of society and illegal immigrants to choose from. The solution to that is to solve the illegal immigration problem, and for all employers to pay market wages to LEGAL residents only, and refuse to hire illegals. Then your area will stop resembling another Tijuana and you might have a chance to find good workers there.

#26     Jul 11, 2007
  7. Actually my employer structures pay levels to fall in the top 2% in the county. Pay is very close to the national average. Great benefits package. Illegals mainly work construction and farms here. Our population growth is 3X the national average. We were ranked in top 10 places to live for a small metropolis last year based on cost of living, pay level, crime rate, and high school test scores.

#27     Jul 11, 2007