Bernanke 1PM today.

Discussion in 'Trading' started by pumpanddumper, Jul 10, 2007.

1. The only 'crash' was in the 20's. These minor corrections are good for the market, more volatiliity. :)

A rate hike could spark a 7-8% correction. I wouldn't be surprised to see The Fed do that within the next 8-12 months. Everything is so inflated, something needs to diffuse this market.

#11     Jul 10, 2007
  2. noddyboy

noddyboy

BUT

1) 1987 could have been a program trading error, which is why it bounced so quickly. Circuit breakers now exist due to 1987. It is not possible for futures to fall as quickly -- artificial or not, this is a fact.

2) Where were people calling for 1987 to occur right before it occured?

#12     Jul 10, 2007
  3. Yes, many, Marc Faber being one of them.

#13     Jul 10, 2007
  4. noddyboy

noddyboy

Thanks...I didn't know that...I am bearish.

Still, what do you think about the PPT and the circuit breakers? The economic clearing price for the 1987 selloff was not at the bottom. It is just a matter of refusing to allow trading until more buyers come in.

#14     Jul 10, 2007
  5. ....plus circuit breakers did nothing to stop the market from bubbling up or bubbling back down in 2000. If a circuit breaker is hit, then trading will pause for a certain period of time and then when things get turned back on the selling will most likely resume.

A bit of information why they call it a "circuit breaker" is because the computers that were trading back during that time were being smashed, disconnected or wiring being cut to stop them from trading as no switches existed to turn them off. The reason why no switch existed is so they could not be accidentally turned off...thus fire axes were sometimes used to turn them off.

#15     Jul 10, 2007
  6. February 27th was a stark reminder of what can happen. That was a cascading waterfall, program trading disaster. Anyone read Barton Biggs article on msn?

#16     Jul 10, 2007
  7. Fed may talk tough, the vulnerability of the US Dollar has changed my views right now.

Look at commodities, they can't puss out now, it's to risky, the will start talking tough to support the dollar.

A break of 2004 support may cause a bit of panic.

#17     Jul 10, 2007
  8. S2007S

S2007S

Circuit breakers.....

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I say forget circuit breakers, let the market do what it needs to do.

#18     Jul 10, 2007
  9. S2007S

S2007S

The dollar is going to break 2004 support, I just dont know why it wouldnt at this point.

#19     Jul 10, 2007
  10. S2007S

S2007S

July 10, 2007
    Sub-prime warning drives dollar to record lows
    Sterling soars to $2.024 and euro to new high after Standard & Poor's warns it may downgrade US mortgage debt
    Robert Lindsay

Sterling reached a 26-year high against an ailing dollar today while the euro hit an all-time high after rating agency Standard & Poor's warned that it may downgrade $12 billion of debt backed by US sub-prime mortgages.

Standard & Poor’s said that it may cut its ratings on 612 residential mortgage-backed securities, affecting $12 billion in debt, as part of an overall change in its methods for evaluating such debt.

This may force institutions who have pledged to buy only investment-graded debt, to sell their holdings, triggering a wider devaluation of corporate bonds.

Profit warnings from DR Horton, the house builder, and Home Depot, the home improvements firm, added to concerns that trouble in the US subprime market — catering to borrowers with problems in their credit history — could spill over to the wider US economy and led to a sell off of corporate bonds and the dollar.
    Background

* Mortgage crisis forces Carlyle to cut float price

* Biggest US housebuilder says market weakening

Related Links

* Sub-prime warning drives dollar to record lows

* Crisis-hit Bear Stearns moves fund chief aside

The dollar had already been under broad pressure due to expectations that the Federal Reserve will keep interest rates on hold for the rest of the year, while other central banks, including the Bank of England, are expected to raise them.

By mid-afternoon, sterling had risen as high as $2.0245 its highest since 1981.

The euro set record peaks against the dollar above $1.37.

Economic data out today, including a narrowing British trade deficit and buoyant retail sales growth, painted a picture of a reasonably robust economy, supporting expectations of higher rates.

#20     Jul 10, 2007