Bernake Killing Middle Class

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Hitnruntrader, Mar 12, 2008.

1. gnome

gnome

I'm rubber, you're glue!

#51     Mar 12, 2008
  2. we need to legally open our domestic currency market for competition.

the dollar should have to compete for its role in everyday domestic commerce

#52     Mar 12, 2008
  3. gnome

gnome

Do you think we could stand it? Perhaps being the world's reserve currency [at least for now] is the only reason the dollar is still as high as it is.

#53     Mar 12, 2008
  4. If they even had half a clue they would be voting for Ron Paul in droves . . .

#54     Mar 12, 2008
  5. we the people - definitely. we the gummint, not so much

#55     Mar 12, 2008
  6. gnome

gnome

We'd have benefited from electing Ross Perot, too.

#56     Mar 12, 2008
  7. gnome

gnome

Uhhh.... it would be "we the people" who would bear any cost of a trashed currency.

The Gummint never "bears" anything.

#57     Mar 12, 2008
  8. totally, i agree. we're already bearing it. i'm just thinking along the lines of simple economic solutions to the govt's ability to trash the currency at ordinary ppl's expense

(this also under the assumption that the dollar is in the process of failure, and we're going to have to move on and bear these costs either way)

#58     Mar 12, 2008
  9. It's pretty funny how you BLAME Bernanke for everything given that the current Administration for the past 7 years has had no problem allowing the US Dollar to go into free fall . . . When Bush appointee Treasury Secretary Paulson said over the weekend in an interview that the Administration has always been an advocate of a STRONG DOLLAR policy, I wanted to spit in his face. What a joke this Administration is. Literally every single Bush appointee has been shown to be incompetent, from Rumsfeld to Michael Chertoff to Gail Norton, to Christine Todd-Whitman to Roberto Gonzales, etc.

Furthermore, you make no mention of his predecessor, Alan Greenspan and his "easy" monetary policy.

The banks are not necessarily being "bailed-out". There is a big difference between adding liquidity into the banking system and facilitating credit creation and simply buying back bad loan portfolios. A big difference, but you fail to mention that which tells me that you do not have a complete understanding of what is currently going on.

By the way, what would you like to see Bernanke do . . . Raise rates to try and curb the rise of a Global Commodity like crude oil and send the country into a complete DEPRESSION???

Without credit creation the Economy does not grow, it contracts . . . sending the unemployment rate dramatically higher.

This is not a typical Economic cycle.

And those of you that are advocating that Bernanke shouldn't be helping to ease the current DEFLATION and "de-leveraging" of the banking system fail to grasp the magnitude of this.

#59     Mar 12, 2008
  10. DT-waw

DT-waw

good points.
    i'd say the fundamental reason behind america's being underwater sinking in debt are deep changes in society, particularly women... over the last decades
    "honey, buy me a dress, honey buy me this lovely pink convertible, honey we need bigger house, my stuff doesn't fit in the current one" etc. guys are no better, manipulated by their greedy women they spend, spend, spend.

now look at chinese and japanese women and their relations with men: totally different picture. results: these countries are sitting on cash, savings, reserves.

#60     Mar 12, 2008