bermudan derivatives

Discussion in 'Options' started by shimaparty, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Hi,

I am working on thesis on bermudan options. There are plenty of books and papers regarding these derivatives,their pricing etc., but when it comes to trading I cant find any place where these derivatives are traded.

Can anyone help me with this?

thanks

2. I heard it is an open outcry OTC pit not yet electronic, they trade this paper under a group of palm trees outside of a timeshare hotel.

3. gip3

gip3 Guest

It's embedded in a bunch of structures. For example, a Hybrid Preferred bond contains a implicit short bermudan on credit spread.

4. gmst

gmst

Traded in OTC markets. Not on exchanges.

5. Are you telling me that bermudan options as stand-alone product are of no use at all? That buying simple bermudan call is imposible even on OTC ?

6. gip3

gip3 Guest

No. I'm sure you can go do a bespoke Bermuda on any thing you want.

What i'm saying is that Bermudan is most often found in other structured products. That's why they are interesting. Rate swaptions are Bermudan like, for example.

But if you want a price for a pure Bermudan, you need to strip them out.

7. sle

sle

No, they are not. Berm switches do trade in the brokers fairly freuently these days, however. The market was kind-of dead for a while when Fannie/Freddie issuance was down, but recovered a touch because of the issuance of zero-coupon callables.