Berkshire Profit on Goldman Sachs Passes $2 Billion

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ASusilovic, Jul 23, 2009.

1. and where is your proof he never hedged any of that exposure???

#41     Jul 23, 2009
  2. Fuckstick,

It is that simple. 1517 and 11%. It's not open to debate; that's the price and vol-line. Stating "it's not that simple" is your futile attempt to show us that you're beating your disability.

#42     Jul 23, 2009
  3. The $10B loss he's marked to $5B. Of course, that was prior to the adjustment in duration and strike, which was done in the 800s. Do you think the adjustment was done at edge?

#43     Jul 23, 2009
  4. care to publish a link to a credible source?

As mentioned I dont believe it was his best trade (the GS one and the index basket) but those hardly scratch his track record, no matter how sheer the numbers look to you.

I am more concerned about his recent departures from what he seems to believe in.

In general I am not so concerned about 2 bad trades but if a trader/investor starts departing from some important principles then thats worrysome.

#44     Jul 23, 2009
  5. The link is in my reply on page 5 of this thread.

#45     Jul 24, 2009
  6. Asskiss,

you've left a lot out. But because you think you know better than Buffett and Einstein, you look it up.

#46     Jul 24, 2009
  7. Your complete and utter lack of any point, salient or otherwise, must be a huge cross to bear.

The only thing you haven't fucked up is the spelling of Buffett's name.

#47     Jul 24, 2009
  8. Uh yeah, I think a 37.1B short put exposure represents a bit of style drift.

#48     Jul 24, 2009
  9. you noticed they are talking about options of 10-15 years of maturity?
    In that context I dont agree with your criticism about the level of implied he sold those options at.

Secondly, you seem to ignore that he is massively long cash and if he held 6-12 months downside puts in addition that would actually make him long gamma and most importantly, stay long gamma even if the market moved quite a bit. I can't say to what extend he is long the nearer downside puts and he is obviously massively long delta but he is an investor not a market maker.

However after everything is said, the trade is by far not as stupid as you make it out to be. (obviously the timing could have been way better thats why I said it was not one of his better trades).

#49     Jul 24, 2009
  10. Paulson reveals US concerns of breakdown in law and order

The Bush administration and Congress discussed the possibility of a breakdown in law and order and the logistics of feeding US citizens if commerce and banking collapsed as a result of last autumn's financial panic, it was disclosed yesterday.

Making his first appearance on Capitol Hill since leaving office, the former Treasury secretary Hank Paulson said it was important at the time not to reveal the extent of officials' concerns, for fear it would "terrify the American people and lead to an even bigger problem".

Mr Paulson testified to the House Oversight Committee on the Bush administration's unpopular $700bn (£426bn) bailout of Wall Street, which was triggered by the failure of Lehman Brothers last September. In the days that followed, a run on some of the safest investment vehicles in the financial markets threatened to make it impossible for people to access their savings.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...ns-of-breakdown-in-law-and-order-1750076.html

#50     Jul 24, 2009