berkshire hathaway options?

Discussion in 'Options' started by newguy05, Jan 27, 2009.

1. MTE

MTE

Just for the fun of it, I used a CBOE calculator to price an 85,000 call and put on class A shares with 30 days to expiry and 40% vol:

Call 4,508
    Put 3,370

AAPL, which is a $90 stock has a bid-ask spread of around 0.10 on ATM options. So that means, the bid-ask spread on BRK options would be around 100, assuming the same level of liquidity in them as in AAPL options.

:)

#11     Jan 28, 2009
  2. Mr Buffet has nothing to say about it.
    The options exchanges neither require nor seek permission from the companies when new options are listed for trading.

This stock does not meet the minimum requirements for having its options listed for trading. Volume is far too small.

Mark

#12     Jan 28, 2009
  3. I was at the shareholders' meeting in Omaha in 1999 when he addressed it publically. He is under the impression he has something to say about it. The discussion was related to splitting the stock and the introduction of the class B shares a few years earlier.

#13     Jan 28, 2009
  4. If the shares are split 1000 for one, the price will be low enough to increase daily trading volume to the point that the option exchanges will be able to list options for trading.

To the extent that Buffet doesn't allow the shares to split, he does prevent the exchanges from trading Berkshire options.

Mark

#14     Jan 28, 2009
  5. B shares volume is 20-40k a day average.

#15     Jan 29, 2009
  6. That's what I thought at first, but then I looked at the historical quotes pages on Yahoo and it shows about 2-5 million shares traded daily. Just goes to show you can't trust one source. Yahoo seems to show the daily volume correct in the summary page, but the historial prices shows it wrong (and the Ave Daily Volume in the summary page as well).

JJacksET4

#16     Jan 29, 2009