Ben Stein says you are a fool

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by stock777, Mar 8, 2009.

1. If Schiff is still right longer term, the people that lost on their Asian investments will regain their equity and then some in a big way.

Part of his strategy is that if Chinese currency stands tall against a collapsing dollar, investors will fair better holding beaten down Chinese stocks over the best performing US stocks. If these stocks perform AND the dollar crashes then it works out great for the investor. Just because the Schiff plan has temporarily gone against some of his investors, doesn't mean that 3, 5, 10 years out they won't be doing really well with their ROI.

It looks like right now is the time to put the Schiff plan to work, the R:R appears to be very favorable at the moment IMO.

I personally think it is too early to discredit Mr. Schiff and UPC regarding their investments and that their investment philosophy appears to be much longer term and still needs time to play out.

#11     Mar 8, 2009
  2. If I hear or read one more thing about the uptick rule my head is going to explode.

[​IMG]

#12     Mar 8, 2009
  3. dstod

dstod

Phenomenal video. All those idiots deserved to get punched int the face just for living.

#13     Mar 8, 2009
  4. I'm curious, what's his net worth?

#14     Mar 8, 2009
  5. And what do you think of his proposal:

ADD A RULE Don’t allow speculators with no insurable interest to buy credit-default swaps on bonds.

When used properly, these instruments can function as a legitimate kind of insurance. Yes, if you are a real buyer of the bonds of a given company, you should be able to buy insurance. But you shouldn’t if you are just a shark circling prey, bringing blood into the water.

#15     Mar 8, 2009

6. If we follow through with his thinking we could apply it to the options markets and the futures markets and for that matter to the stock market itself. Hell if your not planning on holding the stock for years then you shouldn't be allowed to buy it and you shouldn't be allowed to sell it if your only selling it to profit or to cut a loss. Stein is a tool.

#16     Mar 8, 2009
  7. He owns a bunch of real estate properties (8-10 if I remember correctly) all over the U.S.

I guess if he's free and clear on them he must be worth a good amount.

That being said, he's always been a raging bull on everything so he's probably taking a beating on his net worth over the last 18 months.

Here is an example of Ben Stein's foolish bullishness from January 2007--

"The price of stocks as measured by the trailing price earnings ratio on the Dow is now above 20. This is very high by historical standards, and sometimes predicts a correction.

I wouldn’t let that stop me from buying. As high as the market is, barring some awful act of terrorism, a natural disaster, or a catastrophic failure of monetary policy, in 20 years it will be much, much higher. You’ll be sorry if you didn’t buy in 2007—and keep on buying. If the market falls, just keep on buying. When the prices fall is when you get the real bargains."

------------------------------------------------------------

"If the market falls, just keep on buying."

LOL. He should work at a bucket shop pitching penny stocks.

#17     Mar 8, 2009
  8. Ad nauseum.

The key diff is when the activity is detrimental to the system.

Please, no one with an IQ <90 is allowed to post on ET, unless its on the Jack Hershey threads.

#18     Mar 8, 2009
  9. Anyone? Bueller?

#19     Mar 9, 2009
  10. S2007S

S2007S

He is the FOOL, back when ARMS started to reset he said that the housing industry would be fine, I believe this was 2006-2007. He said subprime mortgages would have no impact on the overall housing sector. Later on he mentioned buying the financials, this was when most were trading 1000% higher. He is the DAMN FOOL.

#20     Mar 9, 2009