Ben Stein agrees with Buffet - raise taxes on the rich

Discussion in 'Politics' started by dddooo, Nov 27, 2006.

1. ________________________________________________

yeah, by the way, I saw six people dying in the street on the way home today. Must have been what you describe. I hadn't realized until now just what the cause of all those dying was but now I see. It's medical insurance costs. You truly will be the savior.

#31     Nov 27, 2006
  2. Why should I pay for a smoker's cancer or failing heart? Why should I pay for an alcoholic's liver transplant? Most health problems are caused by an individual's poor choices. No one is paying for my health care, it's all out of pocket expenses for me.
    I would be more than happy to pay taxes for disease prevention, including education and research. Little of that is happening. The health care industry needs sick people.

You never hear of problem prevention. The more problems there are the better, I guess.

#32     Nov 27, 2006
  3. I don't have any help from anyone. I refuse their offers of help. I prepared for my situation years before I got sick because life is full of surprises and I'm responsible for my life no matter what has been thrown at me. If I die from lack of money, I will accept it. 'Cause I'm a man, a real man.

#33     Nov 27, 2006

4. that's not what i meant. u know u can scream for help and immediately have friends trippin' over each others to come and aid u, no matter if u wish to do it or not....others dont even have the luxury of been heard at all.

#34     Nov 27, 2006
  5. I could go off on a rant here about corporate America paying their fair share, but then someone would come along and say if we tax them they'll lay people off by the thousands and move their operations overseas. Oh! Wait, they're doing that already. Then I might want to suggest that these mega rich motherfuckers actually show some gratitude to the country to which they owe their riches. That'll happen! After that I could be so naive to
    expect our glorious government to actually control their pork projects. Fat chance of that happening. Nope, the burden is on the working man to do the heavy lifting when it comes to paying for our comforts and when that gets threatened,those same people will be expected to go fight and die while the chosen few watch from a safe distance. Sweet deal for them!

#35     Nov 27, 2006
  6. Why should I pay for the war you support and I don't, why should I pay for the police protection if I (hypothetically) have a black belt in karate, why should I pay for star wars if I am a pacifist, why should I pay for the police investigation of someone else's domestic violence if I don't beat my wife, why should I pay for roads and bridges if I don't own a car, why should I pay for schools if I don't have kids, why should I pay for FAA if I hardly ever fly, why should I pay for courts if I never sue anyone....Why do we even have a country?

Do you see where your absurd logic is leading to? But anyway, let me ask you a question, lets say someone (let's call him EmbraceTheFuture) opted out of medicare when he was 20. 50 years later he is having a heart attack in front of a hospital, he's got no money and no family to pay for his treatment. What do you do, how should the society deal with the situation? And please remember that there will be millions of EmbraceTheFutures like this guy, either you have to admit them all and treat them all or there will be a million of them dying in front of hospitals all over the country. What do you do?

#36     Nov 27, 2006
  7. Actually, I've had a lot of problems over the years trying to explain my illness to people, about why I can't do much of anything. "I'm dying here people", it falls upon deaf ears, that sort of thing. Most don't want to hear about it and ignore me. Most tell me to sign up for SS disability, that's their version of helping. SS takes the responsibility off friends and family. Shrugging responsibility, where's the love in that?

People, individuals used to help each other. It brought people and communities closer together. Then Big Daddy took over.

Oh well, that's my lot in life, no gov program for me. I guess I better actually start trading instead of procrastinating. I cans play with me liberal friends on ET, but I can't work.

#37     Nov 27, 2006
  8. Like I said in the post, people are not taking care of themselves at all. Smoking, drinking excessively hence the liver transplant at the expense of someone who needs a liver and did not drink, junk food, etc. It's terrible. The hospitals are actually serving McDonalds and Wendy's meals right next to the cardiac care. I do not support this. I do not want to pay for it. People's poor choices are a burden on everyone.

And what's wrong with spending tax money on preventing illness?

A better question I should have asked is, why are my tax dollars supporting and encouraging poor behavior? Go ahead people, abuse your health, we'll take care of you.

#38     Nov 28, 2006
  9. jcmonger

jcmonger

My question is why do we continue to send money to overseas countries that hate us? It doesn't make sense to me, most of the countries we try to "free from oppression" don't want our bologna sandwiches anyway.

#39     Nov 28, 2006
  10. sorry. couldnt edit my post ystdy neither make a new one cuz my connection went down but i wanted to say to u i hope u are well now. hope it's not been a serious thing.

#40     Nov 28, 2006