Ben S. Bernanke, PhD, is a doorknob

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Thunderdog, Jan 23, 2008.

1. I dont what to make of 50 pts, 25, 25, then emergency 75 when the stock market tanks 5 percent. Its not like were under nuclear attack. The fed is a total joke and its getting pushed around

#21     Jan 23, 2008
  2. And don't forget that another rate cut is widely expected next week. I wonder what Machinegun "Cut Me" Ben will do when he runs out of bullets and the real monster emerges.

#22     Jan 23, 2008
  3. I give you credit James when you posted a race to the bottom. It's look more and more like that every day. Ben cuts rates, now the pressure is on every central bank. If they don't slash they go into recession. So do they fight inflation or have a recession? So what do we want collectively? A global recession and/or stagflation? Neither are pretty, but everything is cyclical and we need a correction.

#23     Jan 23, 2008
  4. All roads lead to huge commodity price increases.

#24     Jan 23, 2008
  5. Just when I think that ET is becoming boringly, deadly dull and even slightly focused on trading of all things, along comes a thread like this and in one brave stroke, restores my failing faith in ET.

regards from sunny Buenos Aires located in the heart of the first world.

f9

#25     Jan 23, 2008
  6. Oops forget to mention TD that you have listed Bernanke under Economics.

Just wondered if you can see a connection between the two that is beyond the rest of us, or is it just your wicked sense of humour.

regards
    f9

#26     Jan 23, 2008
  7. Quite so.

As we all know, when a person gets sick and gets a mild fever, the fever helps to fight whatever bug he caught by raising the body temperature above bug-friendly levels. Raging fevers that are out of control are dangerous and obviously must be dealt with, but mild fevers should be allowed to run their course. Fighting a mild fever is detrimental to a speedy recovery. Similarly, if a person has a wet cough, the idea is to let him cough out the phlegm and get better, rather than give him a cough suppressant that diminishes the obvious symptom but worsens the patient's health.

Similarly, Bernanke is overmedicating at the drop of a hat, and his motivation seems to be entirely stock market driven.

"The procedure was a success but the patient died."

#27     Jan 23, 2008
  8. An astute observation. What was I thinking?
    :D

#28     Jan 23, 2008
  9. Who can fire Ben? The President? These jokers need to be held accountable, are they under tenure or what? I don't want another bubble building Greenspan clone at the helm for 20 years.

#29     Jan 23, 2008
  10. sumosam

sumosam

Just to be transparent, I am not an American, but seems to me that Bush (since we are touching on the political) has not upheld the constitution as he declared when sworn into office. Is this not a criminal offence?

I think Bush is a dictator a la Hitler, and is dictating to Bernanke what he must and must not do. Now, I am not defending Bernanake, just musing about what seems to be the dominant theme in Washington.

Interesting that no Republican wants to be associated with Bush. :eek:

#30     Jan 23, 2008