Ben Bernanke and the Fed Funds Rate.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by SouthAmerica, Aug 20, 2007.

1. hmm, why didn't the Persian Gulf war of 1990 cause massive inflation in the late 90s and early 2000's?

maybe your theory is just stupid.

#11     Sep 16, 2007
  2. kashirin

kashirin

maybe you're stupid?
    Answer simple question for how long Vietnam war lasted and for how long 1990 war lasted

#12     Sep 16, 2007

3. Hmmm, why didn't last week's Indonesian earthquake cause a tsunami that wiped out entire species, mounted human casualties in the millions, and razed several thousand miles of coastline communities?

Maybe your theory is just stupid.

Or, alternatively, maybe 'scale' and 'context' are important. No, you're probably right. If I drop a 50lb brick on my toe, and then I feel pain, I shouldn't go jumping to the 'stupid' conclusion that the brick had any causal link with the pain. Not when I already know that dropping a pebble on my toe doesn't hurt.

#13     Sep 16, 2007
  4. .

Blackjack007: hmm, why didn't the Persian Gulf war of 1990 cause massive inflation in the late 90s and early 2000's?

maybe your theory is just stupid.

September 16, 2007

SouthAmerica: Reply to blackjack007

You probably did not give much thought on the subject before you posted the above.

But I am nice and I will let you take your comments back.

The Persian Gulf War of 1990 lasted a week and was financed by many other countries such as Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Japan and other coalition members. The United States share of the expenses related to that war it was minimum.

Compare that with the current Iraq War that is costing the US over $100 billion dollars per year (borrowed money from foreigners) and so far this fiasco has cost the United States over $ 600 billion dollars and this war has lasted over 5 years so far with no end in sight.

The $ 600 billion dollars it is only the down payment of the fiasco since all the other costs related to this war it will add to as much as $ 2 trillion dollars.

The current Iraq War has been waged on a credit card - a foreign credit card.

I repeat again – you can bet all these cumulative defense spending by the US government related to the current Iraq fiasco is going to hurt the country in the long term in a big way – and among other things it will result in high “INFLATION”.

#14     Sep 16, 2007
  5. .

September 20, 2007

SouthAmerica: I wonder what former Fed Chairman Paul Volcker is really thinking about the latest Fed rate cuts.

What happened to fighting inflation to protect the value of the US dollar?

What happened to fighting inflation to preserve the purchasing power inside the US economy?

The Bush administration and now the latest Federal Reserve action are destroying the value of the US dollar.

I wonder at which point the US dollar will reach the trigger point - the point of no return - the point in which a few Central Bankers in a panic mode and they start dumping their US dollar foreign currency reserves in an effort to beat the rest of the herd.

#15     Sep 21, 2007
  6. dafong

dafong

do you guys fail to realize the guys running the fed are smarter than all of you?

#16     Sep 21, 2007
  7. Bowgett

Bowgett

Hmmm

#17     Sep 21, 2007
  8. .

SouthAmerica: Reply to Dafong

It is possible that Ben Bernanke and his people at the FED have knowledge of something very serious that is on the pipeline that the rest of the market is not aware of at this point.

The Federal Reserve it seems to me it is in panic mode and they must know that something bad is about to happen to the US financial markets.

#18     Sep 21, 2007
  9. .

October 5, 2007

SouthAmerica: Now I understand why Ben Bernanke did cut the Fed Funds rate by a half point 2 weeks ago.

Yesterday I was listening to Bloomberg station on my car radio around 2 pm and the guest who was being interviewed was talking about all the telephone calls that Ben Bernanke received from the hot shots in Wall Street to pressure him about the Fed Funds rate cut.

It turned out that this Fed Funds rate cut was a direct BAILOUT for City Group among other big players on Wall Street. Robert Rubin was instrumental in influencing Ben Bernanke about the Fed Funds rate cut and this direct bailout for his bank.

In a nutshell: Half point Fed Funds rate cut = City Group’s bank Bailout

#19     Oct 5, 2007
  10. i hope they all get it stuck and broke off in there asses in the end .. jake

#20     Oct 5, 2007