Belief In God Plummets Among Youth

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Jun 14, 2012.

1. This comes as no surprise as we continue to become more self absorbed with every generation. You'll forgive me if I don't much care what the youth of America believes in.

Breathes there the man, with soul so dead,
    Who never to himself hath said,
    This is my own, my native land!
    Whose heart hath ne'er within him burn'd,
    As home his footsteps he hath turn'd
    From wandering on a foreign strand!
    If such there breathe, go, mark him well;
    For him no Minstrel raptures swell;
    High though his titles, proud his name,
    Boundless his wealth as wish can claim;
    Despite those titles, power, and pelf,
    The wretch, concentred all in self,
    Living, shall forfeit fair renown,
    And, doubly dying, shall go down
    To the vile dust, from whence he sprung,
    Unwept, unhonour'd, and unsung.

Sir Walter Scott

#11     Jun 14, 2012
  2. does it matter to you that it has become evident, because of scientific inquiry, that there is nothing up there?
    should the younger generation suspend reason and believe in sky daddy just because their parents did?

#12     Jun 14, 2012
  3. Oh the irony.

#13     Jun 14, 2012
  4. The science is not settled! This area of study, simliar to GW, is filled with people who have clouded the "science" based on limited emperical evidence and personal bias.

#14     Jun 14, 2012

5. Doesn't it seem odd that the "evidence for the existence of god" is completely hidden from the greatest human minds who spend their professional lives exploring how the universe functions, yet it is perfectly clear to uneducated simpletons who have access to internet-linked terminals? i wonder if it bothers the religious that atheists have brilliant physicists, biologists, mathematicians arguing for the atheist side, while they have, really, no one of credible intelligence.

#15     Jun 14, 2012
  6. Yeah, this guy has no credible intelligence. A complete idiot!
    Francis S. Collins, M.D., Ph.D., former director of the National Human Genome Research Institute.
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/questionofgod/voices/collins.html

#16     Jun 14, 2012
  7. you will note that he offers no evidence for a god. his reason for believing is emotional. not very scientific is it.

#17     Jun 14, 2012
  8. First off, are we talking about some kind of higher power or the Christian God? I have had to learn to have a person define that before we go forward. Often I have found I am arguing with a brother.

#18     Jun 14, 2012
  9. Jesus is on the way out for sure. But it won't be in our life time.
    Knowledge is the enemy to myth and ancient beliefs. It's only a matter of time before it's not a major force in America.
    The last presidential election was a good example, the candidates from both sides were both probably atheists or at best skeptics in a personal god Jesus.
    Now this election we have Obama, probably an atheist or theist and Romney who believes in an alien man/god/Jesus, which is crazier than the original Jesus myth. But it does move us away as a country from the fundamentalist Jesus folks.

#19     Jun 14, 2012
  10. As I have stated here before, I have no use for, or affiliation with organized religion. Never have! My old dog tags say no preference. They wouldn't let you say atheist, which I was at the time. My belief in a creator, higher power if you will, is born out of personal experience, of which I do not offer as evidence of anything. I'm not here to sell anyone on anything, but the science is far from settled. Anyone with an open mind can clearly see that.

#20     Jun 14, 2012